Insulated Leather boots

woodchips

I'm looking for a pair of insulated leathers to supplement my Scarpa Charmoz. The Scarpas are a bit narrow in the toe box for my liking, so I'm interested in trying a few other brands. The Sportivas I've tried have also been way narrow. They're always fine in the heel, I just need more room across the toes. Anyway, I'm looking at these: Lowa Cristallo X Pro GTX

Any feedback on these boots? Any other suggestions? I tried the Kayland super ice (sold those to Couloir), and they had the same problem, although the Apex Rocks fit fine.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not help but worth noting. The Nepal last is a bit more narrow in the toe than the Trango Series. The Batura is closer to the Trango last in fit. (although Sportiva says the Batura uses a Nepal last, it does not in my experience) It may not be enough to fit your foot but the Trango/Batura has more room in the toe than the Nepal last for me.

I'm looking for a pair of insulated leathers to supplement my Scarpa Charmoz. The Scarpas are a bit narrow in the toe box for my liking, so I'm interested in trying a few other brands. The Sportivas I've tried have also been way narrow. They're always fine in the heel, I just need more room across the toes. Anyway, I'm looking at these: Lowa Cristallo X Pro GTX

Any feedback on these boots? Any other suggestions? I tried the Kayland super ice (sold those to Couloir), and they had the same problem, although the Apex Rocks fit fine.

are you looking specifically for leathers or just a single boot...the Lowas you mention look like they are mostly synthetic

• 2 weeks later...

I went years without trying the La Sportiva Nepals because I knew from previous experience that LS Makalus, Nuptses and Glaciers were far too narrow. Finally I tried the Nepals and it was amazing. They're one of the widest mountain boots I've tried in the forefoot/ ball of foot area, just before your toes. I tried the Scarpa Summits also and found the Sportivas to be wider and worth the extra $ in terms of stiffer climbing performance at the tip of the toe, and better ankle articulation. For comparison, I had to wear size 48 Makalus to accomodate my wide feet. I wear size 46.5 Nepals now.

FWIW, I bought a set of Kayland M11+s, and they have a really big toe box. Might want to check them out. Upon looking at them, they look mostly sythetic, but they have more panels of real leather on them than I thought upon closer inspection.

I have an older pair of the La Sportiva Lhotses. They are heavy compared to the newer models but toasty and I feel really secure in them, no issues kicking steps in hard snow.

This last winter I was using my La Sportiva Glaciers paired with RBH VaprThrn liner socks down to zero with never a cold toe. I had to use a thinner outer sock to make up for the lesser amount of space in the boot.