rope washing

dan_forester

For those of you who use a top loading washing machine to wash your ropes, what tips do you have for keeping it from getting snarled up? I've heard of daisy chaining the rope or putting it in a fabric sack like a pillowcase; what's worked for you?

I used to have a front end loader which worked pretty good; I've also washed it in the bathtub which didn't get it as clean as I wanted. Also it took forever.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laundry bag worked best for me when I was using the top loader - and in the front loader. Any more I just spend the bucks and take it to the laundry place. Costly though because I run the machine through one empty cycle first to remove any detergent residue.

I've either done the front loader at the laundromat (doubled over and daisy chained), or done the bathtub boogie.

Woolite seams to work, as does Sterling Wicked Good Rope Wash ($1 a pack at Nomad's so I still have a stash of the handful I grabbed a few years back). I think I prefer Woolite overall, as one dose of the Sterling stuff just isn't enough for the my ropes...

I wash off the loose stuff just running the shower over the rope until the water runs clear. I bung up the drain hole and use warm water with woolite or rope wash and soak the ropes (I usually wash a couple at a time due to the hassle factor) and stomp all over them with bare feet to agitate, with lots of flipping and thrashing. Lastly I do a couple cycles of shower and soak with clean warm water to get all the soap out.

For drying I loose flake them onto a few towels and leave a small fan aimed at them for a couple days.