Wanted - Guides- Index/Leavenworth/Skaha

Blake

I am looking to buy a used/cheap guidebook for Index, Skaha, and Leavenworth. I will be happy to pay a fair price or trade for Mt. Erie Guide or any of the gear listed here: Stuff for sale

I recently noticed that REI, Second Ascent, ProMountainSports, and Backountry Essentials all did NOT stock the Index Guide...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll sell you one Blake. I have a bunch. By the way I am not sure PMS or Backountry Essentials ever stocked SVR.

I have been racking my brain trying to think up the best way SVR could be turned into an ongoing source for helping to provide funds for local issues/needs. If anyone has any ideas let me know – via email or pm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=15015781

FYI - Amazon.com has a new small publisher offering that allows small publishers the ability to upload a digital file which can then be purchased/printed/shipped on demand. I think this could be a good way to go for out-of-print guide books with relatively small small target markets.

How did you market the Travellers Guide? Did it bring in much for your cause?

I'm sure you'd get some response if you announced that all proceeds from Sky Valley Rock were going to be used to fund a new toilet there, or whatever, but isn't the real issue that there just isn't that big of a market for the book?

How did you market the Travellers Guide? Did it bring in much for your cause?

I'm sure you'd get some response if you announced that all proceeds from Sky Valley Rock were going to be used to fund a new toilet there, or whatever, but isn't the real issue that there just isn't that big of a market for the book?

The Travellers Guide raised several thousand dollars - every dollar raised was given away to help climber related causes. Dave and I spearheaded the TG but quite a few climbers offered input including yourself. Reviving the TG in some form as an ongoing source of funds for the WCC would be a good thing but that is another issue altogether. Survey type guides seem to be perfectly suited to fundraising activities

A month ago there were still Index guides at REI. I have a bunch in boxes. There is certainly a market. I have been very lax in marketing. The existense of a market is not an issue. Neither would be funding new editions. Producing a guide is easy, I am more interested in finding a new process......

Again feel free to email or pm me ideas or comments especially if you are interested in contributing to (an Index) ratings/quality poll or if you have a desire to revive and improve the old TG.

There has been a ton of development in the Sky Valley since Sky Valley Rock was published. I'm not talking about the bouldering below Zekes wall (although that could be included), I'm talking about other large somewhat hidden crags in various locations that have been recieving alot of attention. If beta and topos could be collected this would provide enough to warrant a new edition. I realize that a new edition would take considerable time and energy but I would be more than willing to help out. The new sections and updated info would give many the incentive to buy it! This would provide alot of funding to the WCC.

I think what DCramer was hoping for is some kind of 'wikiguide' or way that these ongoing updates, FFAs, cleanings, etc can be added and updated by the userbase and printed out. Maybe something along the lines of www.mountainproject.com but in guidebook form?

What if a guide were something as simple as 8.5"x11" paper 3-hole punched, and each page were loaded to a website that hosted them (each one individually) AND approved changes. That way after significant changes, we could just print out the changed pages and insert them into our "guidebook" (which may just be pages and 3 simple ring-clips?)

We could remove pages to take with us "on route" and easily print out new ones from the website. Obviously durabilty would be a concern.