Colchuck Lake ice/conditions?

scottgg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you just want to crag on ice, the North Stuart Basin has much more of it than Colchuck. We spotted at least six good flows; 3 water ice and 3 glacier ice at base of the Ice Cliff Glacier. It's quite cold up there and the ice is in excellent shape and of various difficulties up to WI 5. Go get some.

Based on our experience a few days ago, north facing routes are dusted with unconsolidated snow, with little or no neve or ice to sink into between rocks. Not great mixed conditions: too much snowfall recently. Couloirs are deep slogs right now. I don't know about the runnels on TC, however.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Me and my partner did TC on Sat and the ice conditions were a little thin. That being said there is a ton of short ice climbs that are in around Colchuck, in fact thats what we were planning on doing if TC didn't work out. As for the snow conditions, I would avoid most the routes on the North face unless you want to slog your way up waste deep powder in the couloir. It was super deep in spots when we were up there but a lot of snow was been blown into the couloirs on the north face when we there.