Kelty White Cloud?

robpatterson5

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They ain't at all waterproof, but they are nearly indestructible. I found the shoulder straps aren't too comfy under a very heavy load. What size pack bag are you looking at b/c they came in many sizes (you can tell by the color of the webbing)? They also get dirty and stay that way.

IMHO the industry has caught up in terms of weight and much more so price.

Then there's the issue of finding a white pack in the snow.

Edited by Coldfinger

lol, ya finding it in snow might be hard!

Price wise, its used and it is competitive with anything else I'm looking at.

I was looking at the 4500? Its the one with purple straps.

I'm looking at it as a climbing pack, where I can comfortably hike in with enough stuff for a couple days, strip it and have a really light pack for the route.

The market has caught up, so I am pretty torn between that and the Cliogear. I've heard great stuff about the Cliogear but the Kelty works out to slightly less and it does seem more durable.

I think whats going to be the deal breaker for me is any info on how the Kelty climbs when stripped?

Anyone have any experience with the pack?

Edited by robpatterson5

I don't know how much crap you carry to climb (scrambling vs. roped etc.), but you might look at a wildthings ice sac or andinista (I think WT is having a sale). Personally I've been using a MH Trance (I took out the top little pocket) and it's a really great summer trip pack. Then I have a Bora for the pig loads. The trance has a lot of the features of the cloud in terms of being able to strip out the suspension.

I dunno but I've found it's better to have a big pack and a middle pack; asking one pack to do everything is asking too much.

I'll tell you that I never stripped out my Cloud as it's kinda a pain at altitude and you need the frame for any weight.

Some sponsored dipshit might be using XXX pack to climb whatever, but I'd worry more about will it keep your shit dry, will it break the bank and will you be cursing the ultralight shoulder straps for the hundreds of miles you are lugging the thing around.

I wouldn't spend anymore than $200-250 if you can.

Edited by Coldfinger

I can also attest to the sheer ruggedness that is the Cilogear Worksack. I took it on a two-mile (uphill!) showshoe journey in the vicinity of Camp Muir, and it held up like a champ!

Sorry, I've only had it a couple weeks. But it seems great!

And Coldfinger, that was hilarious.