Mount Rainier Climbing Pass

Spencer

Why is it the Park pass you buy at Mt Rainier "toll booth" is good for a full year FROM the day you buy it, however the Climbing pass is only good for the year you buy it?

I know I look like a cheap %$#%^ but it just occurred to me that this doesn't make much sense.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it the Park pass you buy at Mt Rainier "toll booth" is good for a full year FROM the day you buy it, however the Climbing pass is only good for the year you buy it?

I know I look like a cheap %$#%^ but it just occurred to me that this doesn't make much sense.

Don't forget. The NW trailhead park pass is also good for one full year FROM the month you buy it.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't forget. The NW trailhead park pass is also good for one full year FROM the month you buy it.

Peeps still buy those things?

Do you have any idea just how serious going to the mountains without the proper permits is?

:lmao: Reminds me of that scene in Into the Wild where he is told he'll have to wait twelve years for a permit to float the Colorado--or pay a concessionaire $2,000. But seriously; I think the climbing permit system at MRNP is valid and used for the benefit of climbers via waste removal, standby help, recource info, etc. While I refuse to pay for an extortionist permit at St Helens or Adams--and have real problems with the USFS trail-park jobs program--I think the MRNP permit is a good deal.

I don't have any trouble paying for the NP entrance/climbing permits. It's the NW Forest trailhead parking pass that chaps my butt.

A "demonstration" program begun in 1996 that has shown its (un)worthiness, was not voted upon by the users (that's us, the public), and has continued to be re-authorized by tagging on to omnibus spending bills by an idiot Senator who has not one acre of Forest Service land in his district.

Funny you should bring up that movie, I just watched it last night. I agree that Rainier climbing permits are legit; without them there would be a lot more people who shouldn't be up there trying to just go for it, and they help support the climbing rangers who are good about hooking up info on conditions. NW trailhead passes are more of something that taxes should already cover IMO. That said I do have a one year pass around somewhere.