Carlos Buhler - CWMR Fundraiser, 3/20/08

sobo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He talked about both actually. Absolutley amazing. He showed a picture of the knife edge ridge from the summit (or close to) the two climbers in 'touching the void' had the go down. He said himself, 'it looked like a nightmare' and he admitted he probably would have gotten in trouble going down. So instead they rappelled down one of the faces, leaving every piece of gear they owned to make anchors.

His Ama Dablam climb he had the greatest weather ever! Thats one thing that amazed me, EVERY summit shot he showed was clear! I guess thats what you get when you climb that many mountains. Anyway, he told a great story of how his pee bottle leaked all over his sleeping bad and down suit - sounded terrible.

Sorry I rambled, great talk! Got me inspired.

Absofuckinglutely fabulous show! Glad that so many of you could make it. A full house! I thought the NF of Changabang segment was the best (see 1999 AAJ, pages 106-113).

Carlos is such a magnanimous guy; you'd never know he's done the things he's done by the way he talks. Reminds me of the first time we met, but that's another story...

We're gonna make plans to climb together again. :tup:

Carlos and the Bearded Wonder (yes, those are my crayons...)

Carlos_and_sobo.jpg

It was a great event - WOW - that guy has done some amazing things! Very inspiring - great pics! I liked that his first summit was in the Wind River Wilderness on a NOLS course - me too :-)

You never introduced yourself. Where were ya?

NOLSe-

Didja make it up to the show?

Dane???

You never introduced yourself. Where were ya?

I was sitting toward the back on the right (brown jacket, black jeans). I recognized you, but you were with a buncha people after the show, and I was with friends who were ready to go...sorry...next time!

Thanks again for posting about this - I'm glad I went and my friends were glad I invited them to go with me. I had other friends who wanted to come too, but there was actually another event last night in Yakima at Glenwood Square - can you imagine that - 2 cool events on one night in Yakima?! Maybe I should move back!

I was upstairs and agree a great show. Carlos has changed little in 30 years mentallity or physically. And he is still climbing hard.

I got a good laugh out of the guy asking if Carlos would be doing anymore "signifigant climbs". And Carlo's typical reserved. Most "hard guys" today would be happy with a life time resume that just matched what Carlos did in Feb '08 in 30 days of climbing around Banff.

I should have introduced myself. Saw a few familiar faces I couldn't put names too. Drove Carlos to the airport this morning so we had pleanty of time ot catch up.

We should all make a point of getting together in the Icicle some weekend in the future.

Dane,

I wish you would have introduced yourself. A lot of these kids here don't know who you are. When you first logged onto this board 5 years ago, I thought I knew who you might be. Now I'm sure. You're no schlump, but you didn't need me to tell ya that.

I would really like to get together and do something with Carlos again. And I'd like to meet you.