[TR] Mt. Garibaldi - NW Face Attempt 3/2/2008

Trip: Mt. Garibaldi - NW Face

Date: 3/2/2008

Trip Report:

Good times; we skinned up from the car at 400m to the snowmobile lodge at 1400 odd metres, fairly ass as I'm sure you can imagine. From there some kindly sledders gave us a ride to the end of Brohm (next one I meet gets a beer!!) and proceeded to carve up the slope:

IMG_0763_1_1.JPG

IMG_0765_2_1.JPG

We found a nice bivy up on the glacier that night. The next day we went up to the peak and started bootpacking at the right side of the bergschrund.

IMG_0766_3_1.JPG

At the base of the rockband in the middle of the pic we set off a class 1 slide which piled up around the 3rd member of our party who was taking off his skis below. That got us thinking so we turned around and went home, & what a run down that slope :grin:. A good experience all round and too bad on missing the summit.

Gear Notes:

skis & poles

Approach Notes:

Get a sled!!!

Edited by gertlush

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A good experience all round and too bad on missing the summit.

...no PROBLEM on missing the summit! (it can't go away) good thing on missing the slide! (you can come back...)

(still a spooky snowpack, eh? best to be VERY conservative this spring, i reckon)

cheers,

It was kind of weird on the glacier around there because with all the wind scouring not too much snow had been deposited. When we dug our bivy pit we hit a layer if dirt about a foot down. Once we got closer to the face on Garibaldi though the snow conditions got a little funkier. The slide was on a 35-40 degree slope with a crown of about 3-4 inches and 2-3 metres wide. A lesson learned anyways and you're right, it's not going anywhere.

Interesting that you got that storm layer to go. I was very impressed by how well it had bonded on Decker yesterday: could not get it to move on a north facing 35 degree slope. Below that it was 1F in hardness down a full metre to bottom of test pit.

Guess the wind loading on Garibaldi probably negated the bonding that occured elsewhere as the storm started with warm temps.

See any natural activity?