Insurance Companies

olyclimber

"When insurers like United create convoluted and dishonest systems for determining the rate of reimbursement, real people get stuck with excessive bills and are less likely to seek the care they need," Cuomo said in a statement. In one example, cited by the attorney general, "United insurers knew most simple doctor visits cost $200, but claimed to their members the typical rate was only $77. The insurers then applied the contractual reimbursement rate of 80 percent, covering only $62 for a $200 bill, and leaving the patient to cover the $138 balance."

According to Cuomo's office, although United insurers and Ingenix are owned by the same parent corporation, United HealthGroup, when members complained their medical costs were unfairly high, the United insurers allegedly hid their connection to Ingenix by claiming the rate was the product of "independent research."

The attorney general's notice of intent to sue names UnitedHealth Group and its subsidiaries, United HealthCare Insurance Company of New York, Inc., United Healthcare of New York, Inc., United Healthcare Services, Inc. and Ingenix.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=4283890&page=1

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I distrust insurance companies. It seems natural to me that they would try to increase profit by limiting claims.

They are, after all, a for-profit industry, many of which answer to shareholders. Therefore, the potential for evil is high.

so, why not have some rich financers and maybe some grass roots organizations who care about this issue set up a completely non-profit insurance company whose goal is to minimize operating costs and hassle for it's subscribers while paying for as much of health costs to it's subscribers with an affordable premium? no, i'm not talking about the federal government, but a private non-profit company.

I distrust insurance companies. It seems natural to me that they would try to increase profit by limiting claims.

They are, after all, a for-profit industry, many of which answer to shareholders. Therefore, the potential for evil is high.

so, why not have some rich financers and maybe some grass roots organizations who care about this issue set up a completely non-profit insurance company whose goal is to minimize operating costs and hassle for it's subscribers while paying for as much of health costs to it's subscribers with an affordable premium? no, i'm not talking about the federal government, but a private non-profit company.

Like a private, insurance co-op? Sounds like a good start. Don't things like this exist?

That's what a number of the current health insurers started out as.

They all found it was "better" if they went public. Better = executives get lavish paychecks instead of lavish headquarters

Like a private, insurance co-op? Sounds like a good start. Don't things like this exist?

Used to be--they were called "mutual" insurance companies.