Random olympic photos

old 5.9

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into the trail crew forman up at Olympic NP. sez that North Fork Quinault is nearly blown flat from junction up to the ranger station, the park is actually gonna sell some logs. Graves creek road is washed out and will have to go thru NEPA to appease the tribe before it gets fixed, possibly closed for the season. I'd heard from some friends who live down at Quinault that the forest behind the mercantile to the forest service nature trail got heavily hit as well.

The Olympics have such allure, and a mystical feel when the marine layer moves in. Like some 11th Century Chinese scroll painting. Too bad the rock isn't as solid as it might have been in the 11th century!!

I'm pulling out my guidebooks, and planning some trips thanks to this thread. What are the best 3-4 day trips you've taken on the peninsula? So much to explore there.

In an extended weekend when there are views to be had it's hard to beat a trip around the Seven Lakes Basin and up on High Divide. Low on the technical scale but high on most everything else. Run out to the catwalk or take a sidetrip over to Appleton Pass.

I'd also put Royal Basin near the top of the list for great 3 day trips in the past. Sawtooth ridge another. A couple years back we did the one day run up to Upper Lena Lake, crossed over past Scout Lake, up St. Peter's Gate, climbed Mt Stone, cruised past Lake of the Angels and went down the Putvin Way trail and rode our stashed bikes back to the Lena trailhead. Made for a long, fun day. But it would also make a great multi-day trip where you'd have the opportunity and time to climb Bretherton, Mt. Lena, Stone, The Bandersnatch and Skokomish too.

As a general statement you'll find more options for shorter (less than 4 days) trips on the east side because of the relatively shorter approaches.

Jim,

Porter's panorama is Mt Carrie on left and Olympus on right all from high divide

yep. from a hike in late November from a few years back. we tried to climb mt. carrie in a day from the trailhead, but got just to the base before having to turn around and head back.

west to north from cruiser

oly2.jpg