skin storage??

Maine-iac

So i bought my skins at the beginning of the season, and i have heard different stories on how to actually store them (long term). Up until now i have had both of the skins together with the mesh sheet in between them, and i have kept them in my fridge. I have noticed that when they are mildly damp it seems like the glue is none existent, is this just a byproduct of them being wet, or could i be keeping the glue too cold? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have the G3 expedition skins.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. . I've got two sets of skins with the mesh "cheater" sheets and I like them. Makes it easier to separate the skins.

I've also never stored my skins in the fridge. Maybe my basement is cool enough. One set is at least 5 years old, the other 2 years. Glue is just fine.

I've also never stored my skins in the fridge. Maybe my basement is cool enough. One set is at least 5 years old, the other 2 years. Glue is just fine.

I only started doing that after living in a place where my un-AC'd appartment got to 100 regularly during the summer and cooked my skins - leaving them needing regluing after 2 days on snow :(

the only skins I've had with the mesh came with it on and left a few little bits of mesh in the skinb glue

I leave mine stuck together in a bag in my gear closet. Have had my skins for 2 1/2 years and they still stick fine. I think the problem you had Maine-iac was they got wet. I notice that if I am yo-yo skiing and some snow melts on the backside of the skin - something you have to be careful of during spring skiing on warm days.

I was chastized for leaving the skins on my skis for a week by a friend. Said it would ruin the glide.

i left my skins on over night before and maybe a weekend i dont think there is a stretching issue. but I do notice that there is a bit of glue residue on my skis. this has worked to my advantage in the past (like kick wax) and for ski touring it never made a differance on my DH skiing having sum glue on the skis made it a bit easier muckin around on some shallow grades on the way back to the truck...

Chris.

Got one pair going on 5 years and I just touched up the glue a couple weeks ago for the first time.

You take exceptional care of your skins compared to most people. I still have pine needles in the glue from when we were at WA pass last spring.

As for skin storage, don’t let them get too warm over a long period of time or the glue will turn to slime. I do the same as Snoboy.

If you have to put them in the fridge at least use the crisper :crosseye:

I've left skins on skis, and the skis got glue on them. :tdown:

Otherwise, I fold them together, and put them in a Rubbermaid in the basement for the summer. Got one pair going on 5 years and I just touched up the glue a couple weeks ago for the first time.

yep...wasn't so much that the skins had the problem as the base of my skis ha the problem :(

store in bag in cool garage.

But why hike something once when you can lap it??

Why indeed? Just remember, sometimes the soul is willing yet the quads are screaming, "Screw you dummy!" 8D

HAHA very very true. Damn those inferior leg muscles. Maybe i should try straight-lining things a little more....or hucking things. That should give my skinny legs a little rest.