100 greatest guitar solo's

kevbone

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely late to this party, so apologies if anyone has already touted Mark Knopfler. He's got a lot of greats, imo, but one particular favorite is 'It never rains' at the end of 'Love Over Gold'. I couldn't find video of a performance, so this will have to do.

The solo is not super technical (even I hacked out a lot of it once), but it is sweet to hear him play it. Its a great song, and the solo fits perfectly.

I've never been a fan of solos with crazy cranked gain creamy tone. There's no dynamics or messing with the sounds beyond feedback and pinch harmonics. They might as well be playing a keyboard with a pitch bend knob. Turn down the gain a bit and you've got to work for your hammer-ons and every nuance comes through.

Bob Mould has had some cool solos.

As far as dual guitar solos go some of the Lee Rinaldo/ Thurston Moore noise fests were amazing to my ear. Especially considering they were usually in different tunings.

J Mascis was always a guitar hero of mine. I never got to see him with Dinosaur Jr. but he opened for Built to Spill one year solo acoustic and ripped it up with a Electro Harmonix 16sec delay. Speaking of Built to Spill Doug Martsh knows his way around a blues rock jam.