Learn to drive Seattle

Hugh Conway

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't noticed the blinker attractant thing in Seattle at all. In fact, totally the opposite. In Nothern Cali #9 was very applicable. Up here, most people are pretty polite about it. Sure, you get the occasional dickhead aggro numbskulls who feel the need to control as much area as possible, but compared to other places I've driven, PNW is relatively free of this type.

My sister moved from Portland to the Bay Area a while back and she remarked that she wondered if her blinkers were broken, as in Portland, you put your blinker on and people actually opened up a space for you. No such luck in Oakland.

I haven't noticed the blinker attractant thing in Seattle at all. In fact, totally the opposite. In Nothern Cali #9 was very applicable. Up here, most people are pretty polite about it. Sure, you get the occasional dickhead aggro numbskulls who feel the need to control as much area as possible, but compared to other places I've driven, PNW is relatively free of this type.

My sister moved from Portland to the Bay Area a while back and she remarked that she wondered if her blinkers were broken, as in Portland, you put your blinker on and people actually opened up a space for you. No such luck in Oakland.

Years ago, I took a ride with a fellow who'd recently moved here from New Jersey. His method of lane-changing was to steer into the adjacent lane and then hit the turn signal about half-way into the lane change. It was a sort of afterthought, just to make it legal.

I asked him why he did it that way and he said that in New Jersey if you signaled first, the driver next to you would see it as his cue to accelerate into your intended slot. He said PNW drivers would never be able to change lanes in Jersey.

How about those folks that yield for you when you have a stop sign and they don't? Simultaneously unbelievable and incredibly annoying.

That maneuver makes me violent. As does the "courtesy stand-off" at four way stops and unrestricted intersections.

Is there really anything so bad about the "right of way" rule? So simple and easy to follow!

See, I'm one of those people who thinks there should be some sort of testing and licensing program before people should be allowed to drive.