Confident Consumers

prole

From AFP 12/4/07

US mega-rich hike Christmas spending

Unfazed by high oil prices and the credit crunch, America's multi-millionaires are spending lavishly this Christmas on gifts like a jewel-encrusted pony saddle and renting a private island, a survey showed Tuesday.

One-third of the 843 rich Americans surveyed -- the "super-rich" with a net worth of more than 10 million dollars -- said they planned to increase their holiday spending this year by between 17 percent for corporate gifts, and 67 percent for jewelry.

From the cumulative planned spending by the 280 super-rich surveyed, on average nearly 488,000 dollars is earmarked per person for yacht rentals, or 27 percent more than last year, according to the survey by Elite Traveler Magazine and the Prince and Associates market research group.

That was the biggest expenditure on their collective wish list, followed by nearly 190,000 dollars a person for cars and 152,000 dollars for jewelry.

Spending on wine and spirits for entertaining was up 39 percent compared to last year, to 31,100 dollars per person surveyed, while around 46,000 dollars was being spent on fashion. One person was buying a haute couture dress for a four-year-old that cost 30,000 dollars.

The super-rich were each also planning to lavish on average more than 10,000 dollars on their pets, the survey showed.

Nearly two-thirds of them said they planned to use their private jets during the Christmas period. Around one-quarter would use the family plane to go Christmas shopping.

Not surprisingly, none said they were worried about high fuel prices.

I wonder what the carbon footprint of one of these people's Bichon Frises is.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was two busy with your daughter and wife in a menage a trois to care

That's too. But you already knew that. Mangling simple spelling won't confuse anyone about your identity, Tvashtar. :rolleyes: BTW, my daughter would kick your ass almost as easily as I could - and I don't think she cares for chubbies like you anyhow. My wife would likely just laugh at you.

American Free Press. :rolleyes:

Sorry Fairweather. That's AFP: "Agence France-Presse, the oldest news agency in the world, and one of the three largest with Associated Press and Reuters. It is also the largest French news agency.

AFP is based in Paris, with regional centres in Washington, Hong Kong, Nicosia, and Montevideo and bureaus in 110 countries. It transmits news in French, English, Arabic, Spanish, German, and Portuguese."--from Wikipedia

The Wikipedia article on the American Free Press is quite interesting though. It'll make good reading for anyone thinking of supporting Ron Paul.