we are fucked

pink

More than a quarter of the country’s 2.4 million bee colonies have been lost — tens of billions of bees, according to an estimate from the Apiary Inspectors of America, a national group that tracks beekeeping. So far, no one can say what is causing the bees to become disoriented and fail to return to their hive

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/science/24bees.html

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than a quarter of the country’s 2.4 million bee colonies have been lost — tens of billions of bees, according to an estimate from the Apiary Inspectors of America, a national group that tracks beekeeping. So far, no one can say what is causing the bees to become disoriented and fail to return to their hive

Concerning since I have two hives but they seem to be doing well and swarmed twice last summer for lack of creating room.

Don't panic. The biggest effect this will have is on honey--that's what those bees give us that our native 22 species of bees don't. We'll still have lots of pollinators, they just aren't as effective b/c they don't carry as much pollen. But as the European honey bees die out (remember that they are imports and our plants lived just fine before them) other species will fill thier niche. The sky is not falling.

Don't panic. The biggest effect this will have is on honey--that's what those bees give us that our native 22 species of bees don't. We'll still have lots of pollinators, they just aren't as effective b/c they don't carry as much pollen. But as the European honey bees die out (remember that they are imports and our plants lived just fine before them) other species will fill thier niche. The sky is not falling.

Agree, the Raspberries this year had a million bumblebees. Keep the honey bees for the fruit trees as I don't see other species on them too much in the spring.

Actually, the die off of European honey bees is a huge problem for commercial agriculture. It's not 'just a honey' problem. No other species comes even close to pollinating many commercial crops as effectively as the European honey bee. Other species might fill that nitch, eventually...thousands of years from now. Evolution won't move that quickly to fill such a huge 'nitch' with such high productivity requirements.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

My family is in commercial agriculture and we've heard a lot on this topic. There will be other options, as well as not every single hive will die out.

No one claimed that every single hive would die out, but in a low margin business like agriculture, a few percent die off could spell the difference between economic viability and loss.

I'm doing the super mini version of attracting other types of pollinators for my garden, since we've lost our local honeybee nests due to urban deforestation and the building craze. It's an interesting ongoing experiment.

Nothing's fucked, Dude.

i know, i just wanted to get in on the whole gloom and doom thing. that's all you hear these day's. global warming, new world order, super volcano, super storms, meteors striking the planet and infected with disease,or creating an ice age, tsunami, imperialism in this country this list goes on. i'm surprised nobody called me out on believing every thing you read. one of my friends is the biggest conspiracy theorist/end of the world/born again christian/endtimes/gloom and doom conspirator i know, i'm sure we all have one. i don't necessarily believe or disbelieve in anything. it doesn't matter if i do, it won't change the out come. have fun and be a good person and only good can come out of it IMO.

Edited by pink

We don't attract bees, we rent them. And there are enough apiaries out there that they often ship their bees long distances to bring them to different orchards. As the numbers get smaller, there will be less of this going on. Even last year, when the person shipping our bees rolled his 18 wheeler and lost the hives, we could quickly find a backup for them. And we rent a lot of hives.

I'm not saying the issue is not serious; I'm just saying it is not as dire as the popular media wants us to think it is. It's actually been going on for a while, and yet, people still breed more bees and there are enough to go around.

My family is in commercial agriculture and we've heard a lot on this topic. There will be other options, as well as not every single hive will die out.

i wouldn't expect your family to feel any other way. the bright side enables one to move on and keep the machine running.

Concerning since I have two hives but they seem to be doing well and swarmed twice last summer for lack of creating room.

that because you believe in god and he only cares about people who stroke his ego. :wave:

"Low margin business like agriculture"? I have family in ag, and hardly would their business qualify as "low margin".

Perhaps your "understanding" is based on generalities.

But you are right that the dearth of pollinators is affecting the ag business, within specific sectors. Farmers are needing to pay much higher prices for hive rental (in SOME places), and certainly this is affecting them.

And if there is something I know, it's bees.

that because you believe in god and he only cares about people who stroke his ego. :wave:

Pink=dumb shit