Backcountry skiboards

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your problem?

Firngliders (skiboards) have been used by alpinists in Europe for many decades. They're nothing new.

We just plowed up the McClellan Butte trail. Two of us had snowshoes, one had skiboards. Who do you think got down the trail faster and had more fun? You gonna drag full sized skis for a bunch of switchbacks with a questionable base? I don't think so. The skiblades also broke trail much easier in the knee deep powder.

And what about winter climbing approaches? No lighter, faster way to go than skiboards. Particularly because I'm a tely skier. Ski approaches for me involve carrying my ice climbing boots. Obviously, that sucks.

If the terrain calls for skis with moderate climbing, telys are fine. When it gets a bit more technical, telys are not so great. I'm looking for an alternative to snowshoes when the terrain and conditions favor a 'skiboardable' descent. These seem like the perfect solution. They'd be easy to carry on a technical climb and then use for the descent. And I'm just not going to blow shitloads of $$$ for AT gear when I prefer to tely anyway.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Yer just jealous cause you saw mine. ;-) I'm sure someone who can ski can make em look better. You saw how they worked in the powder, and like I said, they work great in spring corn too. They don't work great with a breakable crust to get down cause you bust through too often and catch the tips, they aren't long enough to deal with much in the way of inconsistent snow. Same thing if it alternates with icy spots since you don't have a whole lot of edge to deal with and flexy boots. Some spots are better with snowshoes or skis, but I like having them in my quiver and they have made for some good approaches and fun times like this weekend (plus one total suffer fest getting down from Colchuck with crusty/icy/soft in the sun snow where I had to just take them off and posthole).

I've heard a lot of opinions about em, but very few from people who have actually used them. I've never actually seen anyone else with a pair in the US (aside from the non-backcountry variety with fixed bindings) and mine don't seem to be available here anymore.

I bought mine there. I missed them when I looked last night. It looks like the Hagans are the only ones that come with an heel locked/free binding (non releasable) (unless you want to pay $700 for something with a Fritschi AT binding). I wouldn't mind having an extra 20 or 30 cm on the ski but then I'd want a releasable binding.

I was just pulling your chain but I would never buy them. :battlecage:

All of the arguments supporting them say they're great but with a list of exceptions. They lack versatility IMO and being poor I'm a minimalist. This is also given that I just invested a wad on AT gear. If I didn't have skis I'd seriously consider them as a compromise between skis and snowshoes. I really do hate snowblades though and I think the ski resort market agrees with me.

I guess being short is an advantage because I ski 168's with a 110mm waist. That's not much longer than the firngliders but a lot more float and with a proper AT boot and binding I can handle all conditions just fine. Now that I think about it, I am riding skiboards! :blush:

What's your problem?

Firngliders (skiboards) have been used by alpinists in Europe for many decades. They're nothing new.

We just plowed up the McClellan Butte trail. Two of us had snowshoes, one had skiboards. Who do you think got down the trail faster and had more fun? You gonna drag full sized skis for a bunch of switchbacks with a questionable base? I don't think so. The skiblades also broke trail much easier in the knee deep powder.

And what about winter climbing approaches? No lighter, faster way to go than skiboards. Particularly because I'm a tely skier. Ski approaches for me involve carrying my ice climbing boots. Obviously, that sucks.

If the terrain calls for skis with moderate climbing, telys are fine. When it gets a bit more technical, telys are not so great. I'm looking for an alternative to snowshoes when the terrain and conditions favor a 'skiboardable' descent. These seem like the perfect solution. They'd be easy to carry on a technical climb and then use for the descent. And I'm just not going to blow shitloads of $$$ for AT gear when I prefer to tely anyway.

TTK - why ask any of us jokers??....you've got all the answers, and far more intelligent than we are.

• 2 weeks later...