daler

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dale

Last I heard the Akai was supposed to close down this fall, not sure if that happened yet. I once spent a whole winter in the Akai, but that was 5 years ago. Back then it was good- small kitchenettes, clean, daily maid service.

Went back last winter to find it had changed hands- and it was a filthy pit- hair in the beds, in the shower, in the reefer; unvacuumed floors, smell of cigarettes permeating everything, piles of garbage stacked up in the hallways. Weird crackhead looking folks seeming to be semi-permanent residents.

A friend wrote an online review stating "After staying in this hotel I felt like I'd slept with a dirty hooker!" And no he wasn't talking about me. :rolleyes:

The Bow Valley and the Drake are almost the same price as the Akai and as you know, much nicer than that. I've also heard the Banff Boundary Lodge is a great deal- if you can get a room, it's often filled up.

Cheers

Mark

I used to stay at the Akai all the time, and it was great! and it was cheap. Last year or even earlier though the place went totally South and is now a hole run by methheads. We stay at the drake now, or at Rocky Mountain ski lodge which is spacious if you have more than two.

There is another place that I've used before. It's on the same strip as the Ski Lodge, but is just east and on the south side of Bow Valley Trail. I think it was the Bear Country Inn. I think we paid $40-60/night depending on season. It does have a pretty good free continental breakfast.

looks like it got a new name: http://www.thehostelbear.com/

I stayed there a few nights last winter. The kitchenettes were handy. The price was pretty reasonable. They weren't the cleanest rooms I've ever been in, but they weren't offensively dirty either. The major downside is that it would be really hard to pack a bunch of people into the room - the hotel manager has a pretty good view of things. So no real dirtbagging it.