avi concerns

danhelmstadter

I've heard some talk about folks climbing around on the steeps. this is my first winter in the PNW haveing come from colorado... The snowpack is quite differant there. Heading out on steeps after such a storm would be boarderline suicidal.

Apparently there has not been a whole lot of wind associated with this syestem. but significant accumluation, apparently it came in warm and left cold, winds mostly from the sw. Since there are no advisorys posted yet, id appriciate any insight, and or observations.

-thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CO avi conditions are way more dangerous - they calm quickly here

use your spidey sense and avoid obviously stupid terrain traps - in the absence of professional advisories, and unless you're willing to stop and dig a test pit 100 yards, what else is there?

i've come far closer to getting killed by cornices around here than slides!

I grew up in the PNW, moved to CO for two years, and came back last season scared to death of everything. It took a couple of months to remember that around here it is possible to get on something steeper than 20 degrees in winter conditions. One of the main reasons I left CO was the constant fear of death in the BC. I've read some of your posts on TAY and you seem to be pretty capable of field forecasting.

I was out around Stevens Pass on Sunday digging holes. I found a pretty substantial (~10cm) rain crust that the new snow had fallen on. Below that, it alternated between crusts and decomposing grains in various stages of sintering. None of the layers were presenting any obvious problems, most of my tests failed at the ground level on 5-10cm of depth hoar at high ends of the scales. The snowpack varied from 10-25 inches. Of course, that was at Stevens Pass. Other areas certainly got more snow.

still not feeling "solid" about the snowpack round here. Is it "safe to say" that if you give the snowpack 2-3 days after a dump of say 2' with little wind transportation, conditions would be "bomber"???? We don't use words such as "solid, safe to say, or bomber" in colorado, but I am always interested in expanding my vocabulary, and of course my winter ski options as well.

* this is a general question, i know certain factors such as faceting or slick bed-surface would prolong stabalazation. I am aware the NWAC is up and running.

Edited by danhelmstadter