Roadtripmobile

TimL

The boss and I are coming back to the States for a while next year and although I don't want to admit it, I think my poor little VW Golf is about to give in to it's fate or at least I need to find a good mechanic. Anyways, I'd like to hear your experiences and suggestions about the best type of cars for a long trip. I'm looking for something used with not a ton a miles and good gas mileage. Something that would outlive the 08 roadtrip and at least last a couple of roadtrips, meaning when we come to the States the car is driven a lot then put into strage until next visit. Maybe good to sleep in but thats not too important. Has to have room to fit a lot of gear. Not afraid to throw down some dough as long as the Euro remains strong. Thanks for any suggestions!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not sexy but a mini-van would work good. Sure you could find one used without many miles. Take the row seats out and it will hold a lot of gear and you will be able to sleep in it. When I was a kid my family had one and did just that on many fishing trips. They also four wheel suprisingly well.

Honda Odyssey - set aside the middle seats and fold down the back you have 54" x 100" flat carpeted space. Some padding and a 2" memory pad and its like a real bed. Pop up the rear seat and you got 5 seats. With the v-6 we get 25 mpg on trips and a max speed of over 100 mph. With 6 peeps in the vehicle!

I think the downside to a minivan for a sustained roadtrip is security. Pretty impossible to hide the fact that theres a big bunch of stuff (albeit perhaps covered) in the back if you leave it parked somewhere like a trailhead, motel parking lot, etc. You may not need as much storage as a minivan offers, and be better off finding a sedan with good sized trunk where drivers seat trunk release and fold down rear seats are lockable. My civic has such a set up.