US Army advertising

sexual_chocolate

I know very little about China's invasion, but I cannot imagine that Tibet had the resources to resist China without some serious foreign intervention. Might it be immaterial that those pansy weak pacifists didn't fight? Immaterial in terms of the immediate result but, if Cocoa's information is correct, maybe not immaterial in terms of other values including not only spiritual karma or whateve but also in terms of the "Free Tibet" support?

A few years back, I attended a very interesting lecture by a guy Orville Schell where he offered a somewhat grim perspective about how Tibet is just plain outta luck, and I also went on a trip with and talked with the U.S. consul or something like that to Nepal where he said much the same thing and I've concluded that the "Free Tibet" bumper stickers you see around Seattle are indeed rather naive at best but you guys who are here sneering at Tibettans for being looser pacifists surely miss the mark.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resistance simply increased the force of china's oppression.

How could one have expected an arms- and technology-barren country such as tibet to have put up any serious fight? It's a silly idea, especially since no foreign power wished to involve itself....

Think about the countries usurped by Russia. Ukraine went down without a peep, continuing to be a soviet entity until 1991.

I know very little about China's invasion, but I cannot imagine that Tibet had the resources to resist China without some serious foreign intervention. Might it be immaterial that those pansy weak pacifists didn't fight? Immaterial in terms of the immediate result but, if Cocoa's information is correct, maybe not immaterial in terms of other values including not only spiritual karma or whateve but also in terms of the "Free Tibet" support?

A few years back, I attended a very interesting lecture by a guy Orville Schell where he offered a somewhat grim perspective about how Tibet is just plain outta luck, and I also went on a trip with and talked with the U.S. consul or something like that to Nepal where he said much the same thing and I've concluded that the "Free Tibet" bumper stickers you see around Seattle are indeed rather naive at best but you guys who are here sneering at Tibettans for being looser pacifists surely miss the mark.

Hint:

It's not the Tibetans that are being sneered at when the topic of the bumper stickers is brought up.

:wave:

matt said:

A few years back, I attended a very interesting lecture by a guy Orville Schell where he offered a somewhat grim perspective about how Tibet is just plain outta luck

Yeah,..

Who controls the power in the world? What is the great source of directed political and economic change on the planet? Who could provide the "luck" that Tibet needs to become autonomous in some way?

Tibet is outta luck because the U.S. corporate economic machine is falling all over itself to get into the new vast market place that China will eventually be. They do not wish to disturb such a delicate and developing relationship which is the next great regional source of mega profit.

Trot that batch of tropes in front of Party insiders and you're likely to watch them become either angry, or consumed with laughter as they pondered the sheer magnitude of this conceit.

Give some credit where credit is due here, amigo.

The PRC conquered Tibet in 1951, when the direct value of Sino-American trade was effectively zero, a level from which it hardly budged for the next thirty years at least.

JayB Im not saying the US could just snap its fingers and behold, an "independent Tibet", just that there is at present no -as in zero- pressure on China to do any thing about Tibet. The party officials may laugh but they know they need the west to continue to modernize and develop as their actions have proven in the last 20 odd years. Human rights just arnt profitable enough for anyone accept Tibetans and their supporters to care about.

Anyway, to the larger more on topic point, modern warfare from the uS perspective is really about stability, status quo, and to a great degree economics - maybe I should remove the qualifier "modern". Put another way, we get "interested" enough to take action (oravoid action if needed) when our "interests" are at stake.

• 1 month later...

WHOA there buddy! Were such an 'adblock plus' for this 'firefox' to exist (and become openly promoted on the internet), then the omnipotent ad gods would surely have already recognized it as a threat and taken violent and expensive steps to render it useless by any means necessary. So let's not stir them with such outrageous and ridiculous claims, and just let them rest assured that we are all helplessly hypnotized by their virulent brainrape.

Heretic! Moderators!