I-Tent vs. MK1-Lite

Colin

Price aside, does anyone have a reason why the I-Tent is better than the MK1-Lite, or vice-versa? The largest difference I see are the types of vents used on each.

Integral Designs starting putting their door zippers (one for netting, one for fabric) in series (rather than parallel) a few years ago, which I think is rather silly - I'm not sure if they're still doing it.

The MK1-Lite is slightly lighter, but probably only because it is slightly smaller.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get the netting on the inside, if you ask for it. I've been very happy with my MK1. I was at firat a little concerned about ventilation without the Bibler vent scoops but I have found that with the double snorkel vents you get plenty of flow through. The construction of my tent is outstanding. I do think the velcro pole fastner things are a little less convenient than the Bibler twist jobs but the velcro sure is strong.

Integral tent fabric is not fire resistant and is not allowed to be sold in BC. Bivy sacs are allowed, try lighting a stove in one of those [Eek!] . The owner of the outdoors store where I live said so, although he also said he could order one for me if I really wanted [Wink] .

[ 11-11-2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: salbrecher ]

I have been comparing bibler and Intergral design tents also. Here is some what I have been told

Bibler uses a lighter ripstop nylon, 1.1oz where Integral uses 1.6oz. Bibler adds a coating for fireproofing where ID doesn't. If you catch your tent I fire, I think you have other problems.

compare Vents. ID probably has the advantage there.

Price: Once again ID has it there.

Then compare the size. Bibler has a little more room to spare. 2 big guys would work better in the bibler. I'm not sold on either one yet. I have used a bibler but not the ID. I hope to use one Soon.

Chris

Colin,

I own the ID MK I Lite and have used a Bibler I Tent. In limited use under favorable conditions I have not seen any real difference between the two. You are more than welcome to test drive my ID and see if you like it.

The netting on mine zips off and can be left at home, I think. You can have IDs built to suit your needs, heavier floor, extra doors and vents etc. Mine has extra guy outs.

Dan

[ 11-12-2002, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

ok, these questions are for any of you ID MK1 MK3 tent owners/users:

one or two doors? i know the second door is a "mini-door" which adds 5oz. is this only useful for ventilation, or is it a functional door?

snorkel vents - one or two? at only 1oz it seems like a light way to increase the ventilation of the tent.

I use an I-tent with one door and two roof vents. So far I find it to be a great tent. On one occasion in winter I had heavy condensation inside the tent on a windy, below freezing night; we had a light tarp vestibule rigged and kept the door partly open, but had heavy condensation inside the tent. Then someone told me that single wall tents frequently work best with the door(s) zipped closed, the theory being that you need to build up body heat in the tent to drive moisture out through the breathable fabric of the tent walls. The next time I used the tent (with no vestibule) I had to shut the door tight in a thunderstorm (40 mph winds sleet and snow on Rainier). It stormed all night but the tent was bone dry inside, no condensation at all. Maybe the shut-the-door theory has merit, in which case don't bother with extra doors (extra weight).

Hey All,

Good questions! We’ve done some research, consulting directly with published information and live sources at both Integral Designs and Bibler, and this is what we have to offer in response to some of the questions and concerns some of you posted.

NETTING:

Integral Designs tents can be ordered with the netting on the inside or the outside. If you get an Integral Designs tent with the netting on the inside, the zippers are parallel because there are two totally separate pieces of fabric to deal with. If you get the netting on the outside, the zippers in series so that the main door can be zipped/unzipped without opening the netting, and also so the door can be rolled up in one.

DOORS:

The MK1XL, I-Tent, and Eldorado are all available in one and two-door versions:

MK1 Lite: 1-door @ $450, no 2-door option

MK1XL: 1-door @ $525, 2-door @ $575

I-Tent: 1-door @ $599, 2-door @ $665

Eldorado: 1-door @ $639, 2-door @ $729

FIRE RESISTANCE:

Bibler has tents that are fire-retardant and not. They coat some of their tents in accordance with state laws in California, New York and Canada which say that retailers cannot sell shelters that are not treated with a fire-retardant coating. (Integral Designs say these laws are also in place in New Jersey, Michigan, Minnesota, Louisiana, and Massachusetts.) The fire-retardant coating adds approximately one-half-pound of weight to the tent and cuts down on breathability. There is also some report of chemical irritation by users due to the coating.

TENT SIZES:

Tent - Floor Width x Floor Length x Max. Height

Integral Designs MK1 Lite - 46 x 82 x 42

Integral Designs MK1 XL - 46 x 86 x 39

Bibler I-Tent - 48 x 82 x 42

Bibler Eldorado - 51 x 87 x 43

Integral Designs MK3 - 54 x 88 x 45

FABRIC WEIGHTS:

The Integral Designs ripstop nylon layer is 1.4 ounces per square yard. The Bibler ripstop nylon layer is 1.1 ounces per square yard. The finished weight of the Integral Designs Tegraltex is 4 ounces per square yard. The finished weight of the Bibler ToddTex is 3.4 ounces per square yard for the regular fabric and 4.2 ounces per square yard for the fire-retardant fabric.

OPTIONS:

Both the Bibler I-Tent and the Bibler Eldorado come in two colors (yellow or green), with one or two doors, and an optional vestibule. The Integral Designs MK1 Lite and MK1 XL come in four colors (yellow, blue, olive, or red), with your choice of a heavy or light floor and door netting on the inside or outside. They can also be ordered with a gear loft, belay slots, an eyebrow/snow peak, tarp vestibules, and the MK1 XL can also be ordered with a second mini door.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Bibler

Integral Designs

Hope that helps! -