Food

Dumpster_Diver

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is so much stuff you can make that tastes better, is cheaper, and weighs around the same, that I tend to avoid taking freeze-dried stuff.

I suggest doing your research now in the off season, and then next year you will be eating like the king or queen you are with homemade stuff at a fraction of the cost.

If you are interested in freeze dried brands, I like some of the selections from Backpacker's Pantry. They are the first ones that I am aware of to come out with Pud Thai. Tasty.

They have two or more classes of product. The higher end line has more to recommend them in terms of flavor. A little more variety in terms of menu choices too. The next level down is more "americanized" menu items that folks from the company refer to as more "comfort food". It tends to be not quite as spicy or exotic.

First thing you want to do is get one of your friends to invest in a food dehydrator so you can borrow it whenever you want to.

Then try drying and sampling, or rehydrating, depending on the food, to see what works best.

Couple of my favorite dirtbag dehydrator things:

dried watermelon (thanks DW and Sayjay for the tip), you eat it dried like fruit leather

dehydrated ground beef, fry and drain, using the leanest cut of GB you can find, dry, then reconstitute in the backcountry. Can be seasoned. De-lish!

Mountain House has one meal that I always take with me now, their Lasagna. I think that is the one Mountain House meal that I'd vote for. Other than that one, most Mountain House meals (to me) are not overly attractive. Another brand you may not have heard of that has some really good tasting stuff is called 'Enertia'You can find them at http://www.trailfoods.com [Razz] You have to order them although Der Sportsman in Leavenworth carries a few of their meals.

Dehydrating your own food is a great way to go.

I have had great success with corn, ground beef, and apple slices. Other veggies can be dehydrated as well but don't always taste the same after they have been reconstituted. Not bad, they will have a slightly rubbery texture.

Rice makes for excellent, low bulk, light meals. Combine with ground beef and a handful of veggies. Curry spice will disguise some pretty bqd cooking.