Portland - "...a place for offbeat people"

Couloir

and "girl-lovers" evidently too:

Oregonian

---------------------------------------------------

Pedophile wants to settle in Portland

Posted by The Oregonian September 06, 2007 05:50AM

Categories: Top Stories

Self-described pedophile Jack McClellan, who fled Washington and California amid public outrage over his habit of photographing young girls, said Wednesday that he has moved to Portland and plans to stay.

The 45-year-old McClellan has drawn national attention in recent months from media and concerned parents over a now-defunct Web site that featured photos he took of young girls in public places.

McClellan admits he is sexually attracted to young girls, though he said Wednesday he has not and will not do anything illegal. He said he won't take pictures of children anymore because he now "sees it from the parents' side."

McClellan publicly announced his move to Portland via a Web site and in multiple media interviews. He said he wants to pre-emptively blunt efforts to "out" him by those who track his movements, adding that he feels media attention will help protect him from vigilantes and police harassment. He chose Portland for its "reputation as a Northwest haven for offbeat people."

But McClellan's presence in the state, even in one that considers itself a proponent of free speech and individual rights, will likely stir the same parental concern or outrage that sparked citizens to drive him out of Oregon's two neighboring states.

McClellan might not have abused a child, said Ron Tebo, a concerned parent who maintains an "anti-Jack" Web site at www.jackmcclellan.com. But parents still need to be vigilant. "You take an alcoholic and put him or her in a liquor store," he said. "You say you can go in but don't touch. Jack should basically remove himself from children because he's the alcoholic."

Portland Police spokesman Sgt. Brian Schmautz said the police were made aware of McClellan's move to Portland by media. Because he is not a convicted sex offender, he does not need to register with authorities, Schmautz said.

McClellan, who has lived with his parents in Washington most of his life, said he had a normal childhood. He graduated from community college, traveled the United States and parts of Europe for several years before settling with his parents and becoming fascinated with the Internet.

"I'm the kind of person who really gets obsessed with things," he said.

Pictures of girls

Several years ago, McClellan started a Web site detailing the best places to find prostitutes in Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. In 2005, McClellan began to become attracted to young girls, and he changed his site to posting pictures of girls he saw in public places.

Being attracted to young girls "just started making more sense to me," he said.

McClellan was injected into the spotlight after he was identified as the creator of www.stegl.org, which stands for "Seattle-Tacoma-Everett Girl Love".

He didn't want the attention, he said, but the site, which discussed places where pedophiles could go to watch young girls, sparked concern and anger among parents. One school sought a no-trespassing order against him, while local authorities said they monitored his activities.

He left Washington in May and headed to California and restarted his Web site. But the company hosting it soon took it down. The controversy followed him, as parents recognized him from anti-pedophile organizations, and he soon faced a civil lawsuit seeking to block him from approaching anyone younger than 18.

He was arrested for violating the restraining order, although those charges were dropped. He then headed to Oregon.

"There's really no place left for me to go," he said.

McClellan chose Portland apparently after ruling out southern Oregon because of the heat, he said in his announcement on a message board for pedophiles. He also stopped in Gold Beach where, he said, "the cops started hassling me." Gold Beach Police Chief Russ Merkley said his department was notified McClellan was in town, but that he doesn't know of any officers seeing or talking with him.

He has already visited the Oregon State Fair and said there are several more "(girl-lover) events coming up this weekend that look promising."

Attention seeker?

McClellan's behavior and his willingness to go public have prompted some to question whether he is a pedophile or hungry for attention - or both. "I think he's a media hound," said Tebo.

But McClellan said he just wants to live in peace. "I am determined to obey the law," he said, brushing strands of hair away from his eyes.

McClellan lives off Social Security checks because he suffers from depression, paranoia and anxiety disorders.

"When I started getting known by these anti-pedophile groups, they started broadcasting all this personal stuff about me, there was really no turning back. I was completely outed. I basically had to make a decision, was I going to stand my ground or was I going to crawl back under a rock?"

Helen Jung: 503-294-7621; helenjung@news.oregonian.com

Ryan Knutson: ryanknutson@news.oregonian.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McClellan lives off Social Security checks because he suffers from depression, paranoia and anxiety disorders.

Sweet, I'm really glad that we're all funding this sick f*ck.

I hope the sick bastard has paranoia, and anxiety he should be deathly afraid someone will come after him for the shit he's done, the depression is probably some psycho-babble excuse I doubt someone like him can feel remorse for his f-ed up behavior. baa