silent partner

thelawgoddess

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey wayne,

cool topo you dropped off - looks like a fun route that i wish i was good enough to lead!

i was wondering what your opinion is on the soloist vs. the silent partner. i was thinking of getting one. the silent partner looks like the one i want, but do you know of any particular drawbacks or differences between it and the soloist that i might want to think about? (i just have their literature on it.)

thanks,

Hey there I wish I had some experience with the silent partner ,however I can tell you the disadvantages of the soloist.

Dont ever fall upsidedown!!

Rope drag is a suck and you have to do the prussik thing while leading like it shows in the book.

You should get proficient before you use it ,it has peculiarities.

Traversing sucks hard , it doesnt pay rope out well.

I try to solo around other groups of people , I have almost gotten stuck mid climb.

Coil out your rope really well.

Have fun with it,it beats sitting at home.

Wayne

quote:

Originally posted by wayne1112:

Have fun with it,it beats sitting at home

Sure does, and that's the plan! [big Grin]

TG: If you qualify, Wren will give you a pro deal at wholesale - which is an "affordable" $135 (thanks to my car being rear-ended while I was in Salt Lake). Don't know of any other deals around.

i just gave wren industries my credit card info. [smile]

i actually don't like attention. i'm kind of anti-social in some ways -- or, rather, i enjoy doing things on my own (yeah; that's it!) [Wink] , and that's partly why i wanted this device.

anyway, i can hardly wait for my new parnter to arrive ... [big Grin] (no more stressing out over not being able to find someone else to climb where and when i want!)

tlg,

I've had a Silent Partner for over a year now. Sometimes the rope does not feed well and I have to stop and pull it through (9.8 x 60 rope).

It seems to stop falls well, but I still get a little sketched that I tied the clove hitch wrong. Other than that, I like it.

Also, if you enjoy being the center of attention everywhwere you climb, I would highly recommend this device. Everyone from Hardmen/women to newbies stop and and ask what the hell it is, then ask me to take a fall so they can see it work. I'm starting to charge a fee for this spectacle. [Wink]

Drew

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

thanks - mostly about soloing via tr, but "interesting" anyway.

I originally thought the post by 'Noggin' had some value. Upon reviewing it, I've changed my mind. He's advocating the use of an Ushba ascender for lead climbing.....not good!

The silent partner is a GREAT choice....the only one, really.

[ 08-22-2002, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Thinker ]