1. BD:

World Headquarters

Phone: (801) 278-5552

Fax: (800) 775-7625

e-mail: climb@bdel.com (for USA)

-OR-

Black Diamond Mail Order

801) 278-5533, Fax: (800) 775-7625

from the website. Perhaps start w/ mail order or HQ and ask for customer service. *POLITELY* explain your position and accurately represent your investment in BD equipment. Maybe start with an email.

2. Explain the problem and the time frame, basically immediately after purchase (and one extended 3-day 3-way that req'd a helo, but conveniently skip that detail).

3. Find out what they'll do. I bet it's favorable.

Regarding Bibler/BD Tent Repair: They will do warranty repair. If it's not warranty repair, their preferred vendor is Rainy Pass.

I have had Rainy Pass do *BEAUTIFUL*, *INEXPENSIVE* work. That was in '98, tho, so YMMV. In fact the Rainy Pass work made the BD repairs look like a joke. The key with Rainy Pass is getting an accurate quote and requiring them to use original material (unless you upgrade to a real zipper). When I got back from Denali I had 2 good holes from a crazed shoveler, a hole in the top from a picket, and some of the pole straps had blown off the walls from a huge snow load. Bibler replaced all of the pole straps they could get removed. They shipped it to Rainy pass when they were done. I believe 3-4 small patches to cover the rips were about $25, with no charge for return shipping. All materials were original, perfectly matched, immaculately seam taped.

Here's my experience w/ Bibler, BD:

1. Fitzroy, all beat up after 30-40 days training and Denali expedition: Fixed blown out pole straps for free.

2. Snapped a carbon fiber back country pole. Replaced for free.

3. Megamid pole snapped under "moderate" snow load on St. Helens winter trip. Replaced for free.

Oh yeah, they're out to screw you, obviously. [Roll Eyes]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambone,

Enough already! Give BD a call and get to the bottom of it. Next post I wanna see from you is the resolution of this whole drawn-out affair [smile] ...I expect them to take care of you and make you a happy camper/horsecock lover/spray daddy/whatever. Cheers [big Drink]

--pindude

REI replaced the tent no-questions-asked. Went with another Bible hoping it was just a fluke.

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I just love REI. I've worked at four shops in the past, and none of them would have taken the tent back and given me a new one on the spot. Thunbs up to REI customer service!

now you have ME curious about the damn zipper!

The person who could have answered the question for me at the store was not in when I worked last. The only zipper refresher I received was that YKK, which is the major zipper manufacturer for TNF, Patagonia, Columbia, Marmot, etc had some issues with them because they kept changing their zipper not allowing for 'zip in's'. So if you had an old fleece and a new jacket, they wouldnt be compatable. There was a big fiasco about it...blah, blah, blah.

I find it strange that the zipper on your NEW bibler and others' bibler's are YKK, but the one you ordered ONLINE isnt (that should teach you from buying online instead of supporting your local gear shop! [Razz] ). Did bibler have a problem with YKK as well and tried a different company for a while? Or are there 'generic' bibler tents being sold online? [Confused] (okay, its been a long day and its late...maybe not the best time for a conspiracy theory [Wink] ).

Give me a bit of time to do a little more digging and I will see what I can come up with.

Glad you have a new tent..hope it see's some great journeys!

I was in the midst of doing some ordering from our BD rep during this post, so I mentioned it in an email. I got the following response regarding the zippers...

quote:

Carolyn,

Good question on the I-tent. I actually had to wait and ask our tent designer Tom Jones (don't laugh, that is his name). He said that it could have been the following possibilities.

A.) Maybe a prototype or sample was sold to him somehow. Did he buy it used.

B.) Perhaps a small batch was made with this. Although he's 99.9% sure we've only used YKK.

Overall it totally sounds like a fluke. If REI didn't take care of him let me know and we'll make sure he's all setup.

I dunno? Do you think these online companies sell cheap at times because they actaully are used items, samples, or maybe not even the real thing? [Confused]

I know you already got your tent and all is good, but maybe you want to follow up with the company you ordered from online?