Car Insurance

archenemy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have asked all these questions of the insurance people. I get two different answers from two different people whenever I get the answer "I am not the person who covers that area".

Ask them to send you a copy of your complete insurance policy. Surely it is spelled out somewhere. I like to go to the source whenever possible.

Yeah - I guess if someone doesn't offer to pay, and you still think that despite this, their other qualities make ongoing friendship something that you want to maintain, then sucking it up is the only option.

I guess the person's situation would make a big difference with regards to the kind of judgment I'd make about them and their character if I was in your shoes. If the person was making decent money and could pay but just didn't want to, that would be way different than if I was dealing with someone who was strapped for cash and struggling to pay the rent, going through a major transition in their life, etc.

I'm not sure that anyone that fell into the first category is someone that I'd want to keep around as a friend unless they had a lot of previous credit on the ledger in terms of loyalty, favors, sacrifices, sins/shortcomings/mistakes of mine that they'd forgiven, etc.

If I was your friend, and responsible for wrecking your car, then if I couldn't cover the costs of the damages out of pocket, I'd at least offer to cover any increase in your premiums that resulted from the accident for as long as they affected your rates.

Good advice (that I didn't quote for this post--but I am going to follow).

And this is where I am right now--telling the person it's only right they pay me this increased expense. She is arguing with me about this, saying that there wouldn't be an increase if I hadn't already had tickets on my record. I said that was immaterial, and that even if I hadn't, I'd still be unpleased b/c her accident would have taken that bit of cushion anyway.

Also, this increase will probably be in effect for three years (then it goes off the record). So am I right to ask for this amount?

IMHO you shouldn't even have to ask. If wrecked someone else's car i would be totally mortified. and i would be working double time to try and figure out a way to make reparation. I understand that accidents happen, but she can in no way expect you to pay for hers. you did her a favor by lending her your car. you should not have to pay out the nose for being kind.

if you like i can drive up and take out her knee caps. *hug* the whole thing sounds shitty and i am sorry you have to go through this.

The only way i know to avoid this kind of issue is to have "occasional driver" clause on your insurance.

You could probably also find out how much the claim would affect your rates if the tickets weren't there and have this person pay that amount, but it sounds to me like this particular person didn't offer to pay anything after wrecking your car, and you had to broach the subject of her paying the increase in your rates, so nothing short of some sort of legal action would do much good.