yummy recipes

Gary_Yngve

last night we cooked up some tasty food using mostly ingredients we bought from the farmers market

provencal potato salad:

bite-size potato chunks boiled (possibly could roast too?)

olive oil, herbs d'provence, lemon zest

fresh parsley

caramelized shallots deglazed w/ balsamic vinegar

lemon juice

little sugar for balance

salt & pepper to taste

NO MAYO!!!

poached chicken w/ chanterelles:

bring white wine + bay leaf + parsley sprig + crushed garlic to boil

add chicken breasts, cook covered for 10 min.

saute chanterelles in butter

remove chicken, strain liquid into large saucepan along with the chantrelle liquid, clook slightly to thicken

cut chicken

add chicken, sweet onion, pine nuts, chanterelles to liquid, cook for another ten minutes

salt and pepper to taste

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last night we cooked up some tasty food using mostly ingredients we bought from the farmers market

provencal potato salad:

bite-size potato chunks boiled (possibly could roast too?)

olive oil, herbs d'provence, lemon zest

fresh parsley

caramelized shallots deglazed w/ balsamic vinegar

lemon juice

little sugar for balance

salt & pepper to taste

NO MAYO!!!

remove chicken, strain liquid into large saucepan along with the chantrelle liquid, clook slightly to thicken

cut chicken

add chicken, sweet onion, pine nuts, chanterelles to liquid, cook for another ten minutes

salt and pepper to taste

Sounds delicious! I'm sure The Rooster will have an opinion on this though.

:noway::anger: :anger: :anger::noway:

Not only chicken, but poaching it! Haven't you heard? Chicken is out of season from January 1 to December 31! Big fines for poaching, buddy.

:tdown:

remove chicken,

That should've been the first step in the recipe!

:anger: :anger: :anger:

Since you've got chantrelles and potatoes, all amounts are approximate:

Chantrelle-potato salad with pancetta, shallots, and thyme

12 oz. chantrelle mushrooms

6 oz. slab pancetta, diced

3 lbs. baby Yukon potatoes halved into bite size pieces

4 medium cloves fresh garlic minced

2 tsp. fresh thyme

1 1/2 tsp. sea salt

1/3 c. Chardonnay

2 tbs. chopped fresh tarragon

1 tbs. chopped chives

1/2 c. white wine vinaigrette

1. Preheat oven to 375. Tear cleaned chantrelles into 1 in. pieces.

2. Cook pancetta in a large frying pan until crisp and browned. Transfer to paper towel, reserve drippings.

3. Toss potatoes with 3 tbs. reserved drippings, garlic, thyme, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Divide potatoes into two 9x13 glass baking pans. Bake, stirring every 10 min. or so, until tender, browned, and crispy, about 25-35 min. Remove from oven and keep warm.

4. While the potatoes are baking, cook shallots in butter in large frying pan until soft, about 1 min. Add chantrelles, and cook until browned about 5-6 min stirring as needed. Add Chardonnay, remaining salt and pepper. Scrape up browned bits and cook until liquid evaporates.

5. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, mushrooms, pancetta, tarragon, and chives. Drizzle with vinaigarette.

6.Eat.

Edited by ams

The other night I had crab cakes (dungeness crab that was caught and canned the last time I was in Seattle) on normal salad. Made an asian influenced dressing (toasted seasame oil, rice vinegar, seasame/nori flavored salt and other stuff) to go with it. Mmm good.

This last weekend I made real authentic beef tamales. Started serval packages of dried chilis, de-stemmed, de-seeded, boiled, purreed, screened out missed seeds and skins. Then cook shreaded beef, potatoes, olives, raisains, onions with the pepper sauce. Made the masa from Masa-seca (only place where I cheated) and then spent the rest of the afternoon rolling, tieing and steaming. Still managed to go home with about 25 of these tasty suckers after feeding everyone there and splitting the leftovers with my friend who I made them with. Yum.

A few weeks ago we watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, great movie. I made the appropiate pizza to go along with it. Made a somewhat normal pesto, with the addition of over an 1/8 of herb. Made a pesto pizza with roasted eggplant and ricotta.

ams- The chantrelle potato salad sounds good, maybe I will make it for a bbq this weekend. I was thinking of marinating some chicken and making some Jerk Chicken.

Wetspot- dats nasty. I like junk food, ketchup and mac and cheese (though my favorite mac and cheese recipe is not anything like that). Putting them all together though is nasty.

Gary- The provencal potato salad that I like making has all of what you mentioned but I like adding in those mini fresh motzrella balls, smoke trout or salmon, mixed salad green and niciose olives. Serve with fresh crusty baguette and room temp butter. Walla dinner is served and no need to get roosters feathers all ruffled.

Summertime, which it is here every day, is meant for salads. Not wilting lettuce with gobbs of nasty dressing, but meals. Grilled meat or seafood make a salad a nice meal. Or sometimes even some good ham and cheese on the salad.

An east coast sandwich called an "italian" is something that you all have never probably heard of on the west coast. Anyways it is a great summer sandwich. Take your baguette or italian loaf and cut to the length you want. slice the top center of your loaf not all the way through and open it up for the ingredients. Add slices of ham and cheese, then chunks of tomato, raw onion, raw green pepper, sliced dill pickle, slices of olive. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour a good olive oil over the top. I had that for lunch today. My favorite one is made with cappacola and aged provolone. A traditional italian is made with soft white italian bread, boiled ham, and american cheese with all the other ingredients. I like better bread, ham and cheese.

I was thinking of marinating some chicken and making some Jerk Chicken.

:noway:

Think again. Jerk. :tdown:

Walla dinner is served and no need to get roosters feathers all ruffled.

Hmmm...maybe you're okay afterall :)

COCK A DOODLE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An east coast sandwich called an "italian" is something that you all have never probably heard of on the west coast. Anyways it is a great summer sandwich. Take your baguette or italian loaf and cut to the length you want. slice the top center of your loaf not all the way through and open it up for the ingredients. Add slices of ham and cheese, then chunks of tomato, raw onion, raw green pepper, sliced dill pickle, slices of olive. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour a good olive oil over the top. I had that for lunch today. My favorite one is made with cappacola and aged provolone. A traditional italian is made with soft white italian bread, boiled ham, and american cheese with all the other ingredients. I like better bread, ham and cheese.

that's a Subway sandwich dude, sorry :tdown:

that's a Subway sandwich dude, sorry :tdown:

Sorry man, no it's not, italians been around lot longer than Subway. Also, I don't consider Subway a sandwhich shop. First their bread is shit, they don't have any good ham's, those things they call olives taste like soap, their vegatables still taste like they have pesticides on them and they don't have olive oil in those stores even if they say they do. Subway is shit, not like "this is good shit", but more like "this shit is shit, I wouldn't be caught dead eating that shit". Your from Canada, so what do you know, oh yeah mac, cheese and ketchup.

whatever dude, a sub's a sub, like you would still call a big mac a hamburger even tho it's not made with kobe beef :rolleyes:

WTF, so in your retarded arguement you are saying that a big mac is just as good as a kobe beef big mac? Damn I guess I have been spending too much money on food that I thought I could taste a difference in quality. Yeah burger is a burger, but if you can't taste the difference between quality ingredients, I feel bad for you. Also with this line thinking there is no such thing as a hamburger, sub, italian, toastie, open face, hoagie, club, they are all sandwiches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The vodka does sound like a good pairing.

I picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12 a few weeks ago. Anyone have some good recs for pairings? So far I've just sipped it by itself with a splash of water.

I've read that scotch pairs well with gamy red meats (e.g. lamb, venison), but be careful with garlic and scotch. I can't back this up with personal experience, though. I usually drink scotch by itself.