The New Medium Grade for Climbers

TimL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a room.

;)

The numbers game is only as much a game as the players are assholes. If played by those seeking information it is very useful.

Another factor I do not hear discussed here is our place in history. If Fred Becky (insert favorite antique climber) was born 15 years ago instead of 80, what level would he be climbing in 2010? Or if Colin had been born in 1920, where would he be at age 2X? I remember when the best shoes available were EB's and Friends had not been invented yet. Any overnight climbing trip involved a 50 lb pack if not more. Point made.

Grades are being pushed because we can. Or YOU can as the case may be. There are all kinds of specializations and branches into strange new pursuits the participants call climbing. At some point a climber will emerge who can do it all at the top level of each pursuit. Then the rest will know their place. At least until the next one comes along. That "place" will be good, bad, or indifferent depending on your own motivation. It will define your attitude toward climbing. Perhaps it will define what kind of person you are. Why do any of us climb at all? It's not like we are doing the world any favors. I have never climbed a first ascent with the primary motivation being "to open new vistas for mankind". Every single one was purely selfish. It was what I liked to do. It was where I wanted to be. I,I,I.

"I" would rather be climbing right now instead of typing but I have too many other things I have taken responsibility for. Would I be a better person if I were climbing 5.15 and cruising Robson with Colin? I do not think so but I am still jealous of Colin and his generation. All of this is rhetorical. Colin is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and Fred, well, he is not evil. The "better person" rating is really what seems to be debated here in this thread. Ratings have been used effectively since climbing began as a guild in Chamonix in the 1800's. It is abused by some and restored by others.

Who are you?

Why do you climb?

What is most important to you in life?

This seems to be what we are boiling it down to.

I *heart* you too Bug!!!

and i agree with much of what you said. Especialy about Collin being sweet as pie. I introduced myself to him when he was here in Eugene. He is a total doll and i hope he comes back to see us at Back Country soon!!

I know i am not going to be climbing 5.15. and i am okay with that. I sometimes wish i would have started climbing when i was 11 instead of as an adult. but i don't think it matters. I am still not athletic nor will i be. but i love how i spend my time.