Super-light carabiners?

Colin

Anyone out there know of any TRULY light carabiners? I imagine something like the Neutrino, but with "thinner walls" so as to save weight, but not lose size. The result would be something of similar size/shape, less weight, and less strength.

I'm thinking that if the "walls" were made about %20 thinner, a Neutrino would be rated to about 18 kN rather than 24 kN, and would weigh about 30 g instead of 36 g. Not something to take cragging or on bigwalls, but adequate for a lot of alpine stuff.

Faders makes a 12 kN carabiner, but I think that would be a bit too weak, and it looks like it is small as well. Is there anything made like I am describing?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin,You want the DMM prowire. Light as neutrino and more gate clearance as well as full size and easy to clip on top or bottom. Promountainsports again baby. Gotta love that lightweight shit!

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/www_noflash/products/non_locking_kara/prowire/main.asp

Prowire 24 kN 8 kN 8 kN 36grams 24 mm

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: rayborbon ]

Trango make the lightweight II I have them and they working very well even with gloves on they are 36 g $5.95 a piece 24kn and a little bigger (27mm gate opening) then the Nutrino with the same rope radios as the Nutrino (9mm)

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]