Brain Buckets

jon

I don't remember ever seeing a post about this and I think it is a important topic. Recently looking at helmets there are a lot more offering than when I bought my helmet 7 years ago. Also being a cyclist, the helmets have made leaps and bound over the same time period, fitting better and having better breathability. I wouldn't ride a bike without a helmet, I have a helmet for skiing, and I'll never climb without my helmet again.

So which of the new generation of helmets do people like and why? Which ones have the best adjustability? My bike helmet (a Giro) has a adjustable back that goes under the back of your head that really aids in keeping the helmet secure but not snug. If I could find a climbing helmet like that I would be very tempted to buy it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so keen on the lightweight "bike style" helmets. The concept is for destruction on impact to absorb the force, and frequently when one rock hits your head, there's more coming.

In bike accidents, you tend to quit for the day or head to the hospital after you kiss the bumper of that *#&$# 4.7L Range Rover on Burnside driven by the f'ing soccer mom on the cellphone trying to organize a dinner party as you're trying to get to work, so you can generally expect only a single impact. Hence the lightweight styrofoam style.

I think the ubiquitous Ecrin does a good job of locking down on your head, and it can take a beating.

As per styrofoam vs. not, it depends on the helmet. For climbing the styros are light and comfy, but can not take a lot of abuse. For riding or skiing, I think the benefits of the styro go much further, in that they do a hell of a job protecting your noggin for that really big pop.

I had a lightweight Camp/Lowe helmet years ago. It was light. But it did not hod up to the ue and abuse.

Now I have an Ecrin Roc helmet by Petzl. It is twice as heavy (I think) but it is very durable, comfortable, and easy to size. I'll be willing to bet it WAY outlasts the lightweight one.

I wear my bucket almost all of the time. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by imorris:
In bike accidents, you tend to quit for the day or head to the hospital after you kiss the bumper of that *#&$# 4.7L Range Rover on Burnside driven by the f'ing soccer mom on the cellphone trying to organize a dinner party as you're trying to get to work, so you can generally expect only a single impact. Hence the lightweight styrofoam style.

Here's a thought: avoid Burnside during rush hour.

For climbing my vote goes for the hard-shell helmets. Styros aren't designed for multiple impacts. When I'm doing that agony of defeat tumble off the Sandy Headwall I don't want pieces of my helmet beating me to the base.

Plus I'm a slave to fashion.

Petzl Ecrin Roc - lighter than some, not nearly as tall above the head as many (those tall ones look soooooooooo dorkish), great clips for your headlamp working better than most, but the single best reason for this bucket vs any other bucket I've looked at is the adaptation of a construction helmet technowidget............ those 2 quick ratcheting wheels!

Begin the winter ascent with a balaclava or thin hat, as the day warms remove the hat and quickly re-adjust the comfortable fit of your Roc helmet.

As the day continues to warm loosen the head-band strap just a tad to get a whisper of air circulation.

If you typically like your helmet tight, have it your way, and when eating quickly and easily slack the chin strap for convenience in chewing and swallowing without every having to remove your lid.