supercams?

woodchips

I'm in the market for a couple of cams... I've got up to #8 metolius, and thinking about the medium and large supercams to round out the rack. (I know the Large isn't out yet.) Anyone actually using the small/ medium supercams?

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MET0180/Metolius-Supercam.html

It seems like it these or the BDs for large extended range cams. I'm mostly using them for alpine stuff, so weight is an issue. Any thoughts?

Edited by woodchips

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts?

First thing that comes to mind is why you would want to subject yourself to such torturous widths of cracks?

In all seriousness though, I only have up to a #5 BD and have only placed that probably a dozen times in the year that I've had it. I'm a BD fan, because I haven't found another cam in those sizes that functions as smoothly. I have a set of tcu's and they are a bit harder on the trigger finger and as far as metolius goes, they seem to get harder to retract the larger they get.

my .02

You should now be able to find both small and medium Supercams if you look around as I know they've recently made and shipped some mediums and there are still smalls around from the last batch of those they made. I'm hoping Larges will be in production in some capacity however limited by the end of the year...

I'm with Weekend Climberz on this. I bought Wild Country Tech Friends in #5 and #6. I've used BD in those sizes and they are a much nicer cam overall. The trigger action is smoother and the cam easier to place.
I agree they don't call them "cramalots" for nothing. They can really make up for the shortcomings of those desperate leaders who are too sketched to place a cam properly. ;)

You should now be able to find both small and medium Supercams if you look around as I know they've recently made and shipped some mediums and there are still smalls around from the last batch of those they made. I'm hoping Larges will be in production in some capacity however limited by the end of the year...

I've looked at them (feathered friends up in seattle has them), and played with them in the store, but haven't actually used one, or talked to anyone who has. I'm sure that the supercams and camalots are both good cams, so maybe I just need to get the lighter ones. Judging from the specs, the BD seem to be a bit lighter, but it's hard to tell if I'm comparing apples to oranges.

It's more like comparing Windows to Mac. I got a metolius rack and wish I had paid extra for the BDs.

I got two off the small super cams. Mainly because I would hesitate to place one on the off chance that I would need it further up the pitch. Now I use both. The range is almost equal to a metolius #7 & #8 on the small.

It's more like comparing Windows to Mac. I got a metolius rack and wish I had paid extra for the BDs.

I got two off the small super cams. Mainly because I would hesitate to place one on the off chance that I would need it further up the pitch. Now I use both. The range is almost equal to a metolius #7 & #8 on the small.

How do you think the usable range of the supercam compares to the BDs?

Edited by woodchips

Placing a C4 with gloves on seems like it would be easier than with a WC tech friends for mixed climbing, if that's your thing. What do the mixxers think ?

Most of my rack is C4's : 0.5 to 4, and I like them, but I learned to lead trad on a partner's older camalots (no thumb loops).

I'm with Weekend Climberz on this. I bought Wild Country Tech Friends in #5 and #6. I've used BD in those sizes and they are a much nicer cam overall. The trigger action is smoother and the cam easier to place.
I agree they don't call them "cramalots" for nothing. They can really make up for the shortcomings of those desperate leaders who are too sketched to place a cam properly. ;)

That seems a bit harsh, don't you think? Easy placement is a benefit, not training wheels.

That seems a bit harsh, don't you think? Easy placement is a benefit, not training wheels.

I meant it tongue in cheek, but there is a kernel of truth to it. They are more forgiving. In reply to Rob, I've used WC Tech Friends, Old Style Camalots and the C4's and the C4's are probably the easiest to manipulate in gloved hands. Those are all better than my Clogs. I put cloth tape on the end of the stems of the Clogs to improved the grip by the thumb. It seems to help.