Lowe Alpine Triplepoint Ceramic Fabric

al

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TriplePoint: I have a jacket made of the "2 layer" type triplepoint. I think Lowe calls it the triplepoint 1200? It's similar in feel to a two layer goretex. It sucks. Part of it is just the parachute-like design of the jacket, but part of it is the fabric. I've found the fabric to wick out easily when exposed to free moisture and I don't think it breathes very well either. Maybe if you're loking at gloves, they'd work better. The bottom line is that I always get wet when I wear it. That reminds me...

For sale: TriplePoint 1200 Jacket. Works great. $40 OBO. [laf]

I have one that I used for a month in NCNP. It did well for that trip, but so did the weather we had only about a week of foul weather. And since then I've noticed it doesn't shed water too well anymore, just gets wet. I am planning to give it a treating with Nikwax tech wash to see if that will improve anything. But considering I only paid $99 for it and it worked for what I needed it to do, it wasn't such a bad deal. I would stay away from it if you want something that will protect you well and last.

I have a lowe alpine shell made of the triple point ceramic fabric. Not very breathable but so far has held up well in wet weather. I got it cheap (about $150?) a couple of years ago. Mostly I use it for lift serve skiing. Not a high performance shell, but may do the job for ya.

quote:

Twight claims in "extreme GU climbing" triplepoint is better than gore under wet conditions?

Yeah,if Lowe wants to drop a few bones on my latest project,I'll tell ya it makes Gore-Tex look like bungfodder. I ain't sayin that's the case here, but it does make ya wonder,eh? I have heard that some test results showed that it was more breathable when wet than G-tex, but I've used several different wp/b fabrics and I honestly couldn't tell you the difference if I didn't know. The performance of my shell is about the last thing on my mind when I'm actually on the hill.