Washington Pass Must Do!!

daler

Hi All-

I have done many of the moderate classics at WA Pass and was hoping to get some beta for some of the harder less traveled routes-

Passenger? Any other new modern classics? What have you hard Men and Women been doing at the pass-

Freedom rider?

I'll be working in the North Cascades for 12 days and then will have 2 1/2 days at the pass to send with my wife-

Any suggestions would be great- Note: I'm very familiar with the areas as I grew up in Mazama so all the small talk beta is not needed!

Cheers,

Dale

Gravityguide.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might not be a "must do," but this route has some fun pitches: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=628237&PHPSESSID=dfd9db59b57e009552e95d129dcf6817. I think that if you head east from the start of the NW Face, on the east end of the grassy bench you can drop down 10 feet on a class 4 slab to a ledge at the base of the 3rd pitch, avoiding a lot of class 4 and two easy pitches. Or you might have to scramble up over something before you drop down, I don't remember. Might be a good way to spend your half day.

Bring extra RPs and your choice of narrow headed small cams to make the aid reasonable. Offsets would be ideal.

I thought Freedom Rider was definitly a good adventurous route. Bring a lot of bigger stuff for the optional hardman offwidth on the third pitch.

Boving route on the west face of South is a must do, though the cruxy first pitch doesn't usually dry out till later.

For more alpiney style, Gato Negro on the West Face of Silver Star is worthwhile.

"Spice of life" on the east face of lexington...first three pitches of tooth and claw .11b, followed by the last 3 pitches of the reg. e. face rt. great variety...

then do the Boving rt. as dirtyharry mentioned but do the dolphin instead of the double roofs...classic chimney. this link-up stays in the sun as you move from east to west on the towers.

and i second the recommendation for gato-negro...great route

Edited by bobbyperu