light machines vs. axars

wydrav13

thinkig about new tools whats your take on these two tools i want something that i can climb alpine with but still do the verticle ice. the light machines look like they would be better for veticle ice..and not as well in an alpine setting like the axars. but seems like the better climbing ability of the light machines makes up the difference. can you sill "plunge" with these tools..any advice would be great.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

alpine with light machines would be bunk. not made for plunging, hammering shaft, adzing (do they even come with an adze?) or what have you, although you could try, it would be about like glacier walking with a pair of 5.10 Moccasyms on.

axar is designed for all around climbing including alpine.

now let the flames start from those who alpine climb extensively with their light machines! wink.gif" border="0

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

i own both, and use my axars for alpine and my machines for steep ice. i think if you can afford it, two pairs of tools is the way to go. of course i acquired both over a period of time and got deals on them, and i recognize that buying both is, economically, probably not an option. ive climbed quite a bit of steep ice on my axars and they work well (i always tell myself that there were guys who could do it back in the 70's with gear that comes nowhere near to even the worse stuff on the market today, so whatever i have in my hand should get the job done). just be sure to add head weights to them for waterfall ice - its surprising what a difference they make. if youve narrowed it down to those two pairs and only plan on owning one pair of tools, go with the axars, theyre far more versatile.