mono points

carolyn

I have a "short cut" way to reshapen your new cobra picks. It goes a little like this:

-Swing at thin ice over hard rock. -Don't realize there is rock, and swing harder!-Damit, why are my picks bouncing off pure ice? SWING HARDER!-hmm, maybe there's rock under there. -Spend smaller amount of time sharpening your new steeper drooped pick. Voila!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another Rage and M-10 with the suckie anti-snow plate combo user Using the Rage I can degrade some of the climbing I have done due to such an excellent tool (just bevel the second teethes from both side and ramp the first tooth also watch for the penetration angle so it wouldn’t be too sharp and keep your tools sharp) and oh yeah be gentle with them it take less of a swing to set them Using the M-10 you don’t know what a great crampons feel/climb like till you put this puppies on and giving them a full day run I can run to analytical and theoretical debate here but I wouldn’t (the anti-snow-plate is to my opinion is the worst out there which make you feel like you been robbed out of your money ($35)…Hey Dru did you ever got yours replaced? what was their policy about this?) smile.gif" border="0

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]

• 2 years later...

funny! I was spying on "who's online" and noticed someone looking at this post. Peaked my interest. low and behold I started the post myself! shocked.gif

Though I LOVE my sabretooths, I only used them twice this year...once because I was borrowing some snowshoes that required the use of sabretooths. The other time Iforgot my monos. drytooling in sabretooths really ISNT that bad!

I got meself a pair of comps. the only thing I dont like about them is the fact that I need a new set of front points after just one season. BOOOOO! I will credit myself for getting a little better on the ice, but I really do think using monos helped my footwork a lot. I found myself being much more specific and careful with my foot placements.

Aaaahhhh! Memories of buying my first set of crampons.

• 1 month later...

I just tried out a pair of G14's over the weekend on some hard gully ice in the Sierras. Pretty much dual point config, as from the factory. I noticed that on the hard brittle stuff the points were shattering a lot of ice. I didn't feel too confident about that.

Wondering if this is just my newbie technique, or if monopoints help in this situation ... being able to place the point like the pick of an ice tool ... kick, check placement, repeat ...

On the other hand, not sure if the sabertooths would have faired any better on that brittle stuff. Advice appreciated ...

i use the g14's. i pretty much always go mono but it's nice to have the option to switch to dual should i ever feel the need. mono is nice for technical ice (and rock!) - it's just like climbing with pointy climbing shoes on ... thumbs_up.gif i like rambocomps but those little tiny bottom points suck for walking around on glaciers. the "regular" rambo would be better for that but they are rather heavy. the g14s are a little lighter ... and lower profile than the m10's. (i have smallish feet!)

if you're kicking it hard enough, i think that brittle ice is going to shatter no matter how many points you've got. i think monos are better for most vertical stuff, and i would think monos are less obtrusive when dealing with dinnerplate-prone ice and whatnot. if the ice is chandeliered, i think it's much easier to make good solid gentle placements with a mono. of course ... this is just what *i* think.

• 1 month later...

rhyang-

Very cold and brittle ice is not shatter proof. Typically dual points are more prone to shattering ice..but not always. Pay attention to where you are placing your feet. LOOK for spots which might shatter less, look for holes in the ice and place your front point in it. The less you actually kick, the less ice you shatter, the more stable you are, and the more energy you will conserve.

I suppose you could switch the spacers so the smaller is on the left of the point. It would probly be right over your pinky toe then...kinda awakward. Suppose you could check with grivel. Maybe they have another spacer kit.

Anyone know if it's possible to set up the rambocomps or rambos as offset monopoints ? All the pics I've seen seem to have the mono's in the center (though I guess one option would be to visit the hardware store and use a hacksaw).

i remember the comp monos being offset. i don't know why they wouldn't be. s/b same for the rambos.

I setup my Rambos as offset mono points a few years ago. I used the dual points (give you an extra set of front points) and made my own spacers. You can pretty easily find aluminum spacers at the hardware store. I cut the spacers so that I could go with offset mono or centered mono. I believe the regular rambo mono kit is a centered mono, fyi. Here's a pic of my crampon:

409696-tmp.jpg

Anyhow, the monos rock on water ice, I really like the offset too.

409696-tmp.jpg.2bf7943879ffb66b300ffaa74bfa9098.jpg

i like my g-14s

me too. imho, the finest all round crampon. if u need ONE crampon to do everything, this is it. super-tough, effective, flexible, adaptable, effective antibots. good with mono, good with dbl. wide range of fits. a touch heavy, but tough comes with a price. i only wish they were rigids. (strangely, while the G-14s work fine on my sz 46s, rambos won't go on...)

cheers,