Light Inexpensive Climbing Helmet - Crag Hat

tomdav

OK, forgive me folks. I'm not necessarily a climber but I do occasionally scramble and I'm thinking of getting some lightweight head protection. I was dorking around the net and saw this reasonably priced helmet called the "crag hat" for $36 at http://www.bittersweetgear.com/helmets.html. Would any of you recommend this helmet or have another suggestion? I was also thinking about the Petzl Meteor (strictly from the minimal grams standpoint) but was a little concerned re. the "one time use" disclaimer, not to mention cost. Thanks for your feedback!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the lightweight (ie. foam) helmet made by Camp. It fits well and is easy to adjust. It's best to keep it on the inside of your pack to avoid superficial, but scary looking dents in the shell. Kinda spendy though...

Check and see if the "crag hat" is UIAA aproved before you buy one. smile.gif" border="0

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

If you check the manufacturer's warning on just about all helmets, they will advise you to discontinue their use in the event of a hard impact - no matter if they are plastic like the Ecrin Roc or high density foam like the Meteor. The materials are designed to absorb one severe impact. After a severe impact, the helmet has lost its ability to absorb an additional impact.

The Ecrin Roc's are a little heavy-that's what I use. But, they are easy to attach a headlamp to, and they are pretty durable. I have heard good things about the Meteor, but you have to buy special clips to attach a headlamp. Black Diamond has a new high density foam helmet that's pretty stylish, and it is easy to attach a headlamp.

According to the link above it says the Crag Hat is "CE certified and UIAA approved". I saw it at Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue and it didn't seem any less sturdy than the rest, but it sure was easier on the pocket. What do you like about the Erin Roc? Seems heavy (100 grams more), but a lot of folks seem to like it.

I have never seen the crag hat, but for me the Roc seems more solid, and can withstand a impact pretty well, or even a fall. Many of the accidents also include a fall after a hit, and that is where a helmet like the Roc seems to hold on. Just reading between the lines, but I feel that past the hit the Roc would protect you in a fall that might happen following a hit. I am convinced that the construction would evenly divide the force over the whole area. I have seen the other helmets, and sure they seem lighter, but more the Roc seems solid as far as fit. If there is less exposure I have seen where a bike helmet would work, like crossing below the cleaver, this is where a lighter helmet might come into play. I travel light mostly, but carry the Roc on most rockfall exposure trips.

[geek]