Anyone used a JetBoil stove above 10,000 ft?

jstreet

OK, I am open to learning new things. It appears that the Pocket Rocket may be a better stove than my XGK. It sure is lighter and I am in a lightening-up phase just now, big time. But how do you use one of those little things in the field? They seem so unsteady (small base area), plus a 2 liter pot of water makes them ‘way topheavy. How do stabilize them in practical use? My buddy knocked over the Jetboil at one point but the nudge he gave it would not have caused any harm if we had been using an XGK.

thanks

After spilling a couple pot fulls of hard won water with the Rocket and the small size canister, we came up with the idea of putting a bag of instant rice under the canister. Squish the canister into the rice and it's way more stable. Mind you it goes from insanely tippy to merely quite tippy. Everything's a compromise though right...

MCash-

The Pocket Rocket with the JetBoil pot, not the canister, was the quickest boil. Due to the heat exchanger no doubt.

Yo Sky! Hope things are groovy man!

You ever compare a Whisperlite with the XGK? I always use a Whisperlite up in AK and it seems faster than the XGKs I've been around. The burner is closer to the pot than with the XGK and could be an explanation.

-M

Edited by Marko

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic