war on drugs getting bigger?

ivan

when the government provides my food clothing house and entertainment, MAYBE then they can tell me what to do. as long as my ass is working for a living i want the government to stay the fuck out of my business.

I just want to point out here that your underlying belief system is that the one with the economic power is the one with the power to decide on who does what (as well as control the level of one's privacy, decision making, whatever). I am not saying this to provoke a defense--I actually believe the same thing. But I do think it is good to be aware of these beliefs/assumptions and call them out on occasion.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when the government provides my food clothing house and entertainment, MAYBE then they can tell me what to do. as long as my ass is working for a living i want the government to stay the fuck out of my business.

I just want to point out here that your underlying belief system is that the one with the economic power is the one with the power to decide on who does what (as well as control the level of one's privacy, decision making, whatever). I am not saying this to provoke a defense--I actually believe the same thing. But I do think it is good to be aware of these beliefs/assumptions and call them out on occasion.

You are correct. It is part of my belief structure. Money=choice and choice=power.

i am not saying that is right, it is just what i think.

The question is which mistakes the government should have a right to forbid us from making.

that is the part we do not agree on. the government can not stop us form making mistakes. it is law enforcements obligation to help us find our way to certain consequence.

You are correct. It is part of my belief structure. Money=choice and choice=power.

i am not saying that is right, it is just what i think.

I believe the same. I am just making a connection with another discussion you and I were having on another day...

i have friend who says there really only needs to be 3 laws.

don't fuck with people

don't fuck with other peoples stuff

use your common sense

isn't these rules just a slippery slope though? - how long before The Man wants to shorten it to just "don't fuck"?!? the horror!

don't fuck with people

use your common sense

isn't these rules just a slippery slope though? - how long before The Man wants to shorten it to just "don't fuck"?!? the horror!

If that happens then I need to repeal the no jaywalking law. I'd throw myself in front of a bus.

The question is which mistakes the government should have a right to forbid us from making.

that is the part we do not agree on. the government can not stop us form making mistakes. it is law enforcements obligation to help us find our way to certain consequence.

Well I didn't say 'stop,' I said forbid, and by that I meant strongly discourage, through laws that deter choices that may have inarguably negative consequences. Like shooting someone, per your example. The government can't stop someone from pulling the trigger, but it can deter that by promising harsh consequences through law (except in special situations like self-defense). Do laws against shooting people result in less people being shot? I think they do, but I might as well expect some here to disagree.

So now you're equating murder with recreational drug use?

Comparing but not equating, but mostly because that was the example that Muffy gave. Yes they are vastly different and it's a stretch. I also think it's funny that this thread started about an amphetamine-containing plant that clearly poses no apparent threat to our society. And pot is even more benign. I've never seen a pot whore.

Admittedly, I think the only way my fears will turn into reality is if they start letting things like this happen again. Legalization could be tantamount to marketization, which could have bad consequences given what can be done with something as benign as sugar.

cocaine.jpga

Um, cocaine is a topical anesthetic. Using it for a tooth ache reliever is reasonable. Some people are stupid and get addicted to shit by taking too much all the time for no pain. Those who use drugs properly don't encounter this problem nearly as much as you'd think.

our government currently has rules restricting the marketing of drugs like alcohol and tobacco - why wouldn't these other drugs that should be legalized by subject to similiar restrictions?

I am not sure what your question here is. The FTC regulates marketing rules in all industries. So when it comes to drugs, the FTC watches claims no matter what. EVen the supplement and vitamin industry, which is not regulated by the FDA, is still regulated by the FTC. THis is not likely to change, so I am not sure what the concern we are talking about here is.

our government currently has rules restricting the marketing of drugs like alcohol and tobacco - why wouldn't these other drugs that should be legalized by subject to similiar restrictions?

I am not sure what your question here is. The FTC regulates marketing rules in all industries. So when it comes to drugs, the FTC watches claims no matter what. EVen the supplement and vitamin industry, which is not regulated by the FDA, is still regulated by the FTC. THis is not likely to change, so I am not sure what the concern we are talking about here is.

the concern has shown up on several pages in this thread that legalizing drugs like pot and coke will lead to big business comercializing and promoting them through marketing - i was just saying that i don't think that's such a big concern, but there are already precedents for controlling that

i kinda like the potential adds for marlboro blues or camel greens :)

there are also rules laws and social standards regarding the use of tobaco and alchol that would also apply to other substances.

i don't forbid my children anything. they know they CAN do anythign they want, they are geting bigger than i am. i inform them of what the consequences will be if they chose to do something that is not acceptable to our family code.

it really is all in the language you use.

don't fuck with people

use your common sense

If that happens then I need to repeal the no jaywalking law. I'd throw myself in front of a bus.

:( me too