bellingham/ skagit county gyms?

woodchips

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all equally suck. The leading edge is 10 feet high and is two walls at a little girls gymnastic facility. Wooden reachy problems. $10.

The YMCA is pretty tall, but about 30 feet wide and will be sharing with mountaineer gapers and little retarded children getting "hoorayed" up the wall.

The WWU wall is probably your best shot. Although it's about as good as a public recreation facility wall as you can expect.

People have tried to create decent gyms in Bellingham. Tried and failed.

There are lots of routes at Mt. Erie, near Anacortes. Some people like the place, some hate it, but Olympia has no real rock so you might like it (I do). Larabee State Park has some good bouldering right on the beach and some places that you can put up a top rope on the traintracks. There are a handfull of other smaller areas such as Blanchard Mountain, Big Rock (east of Mount Vernon), and on the Mt. Baker HW. There are guidebooks available, or you can look online.

Here is a link you might find useful. http://www.acadweb.wwu.edu/recreate/subpage.asp?name=membership Doesn't sound like you can become a member unless you're a student, faculty, or have some other connection with WWU.

I just started climbing at the Y instead of WWU's gym and IMO it is SO MUCH BETTER. The wall is actually high enough to get a good workout on and there aren't a bunch of boulderers laying around all over the place like at WWU. When it's sunny, i try to climb outside (closest place is Mt. Erie), but the Y is 2 blocks from my house so you can't beat the convenience. :tup:

• 4 months later...