Sterling V-Dry Rope?

DonnV

10.2 x 60m. Saw it online for $99, which appeals to my currently severe budgetary constraints. I've found one reviewer that liked the rope but found it to be a bit twisty and also the slickest (as in slippery) rope he'd ever used. I need a 60m sport rope, but it will also have to see some occasional alpine use. Anyone have any experience with this rope?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the v-dry for an all-purpose cragging rope. It was definitely slippery at first and had to watch it when using a gri-gri, but has broken in nicely. It's my second Sterling rope and they have both handled really well.I use a different rope for alpine stuff, at 10.2 x 60m I think it's too heavy. And I'm not convinced the v-dry is as waterproof as a good coated rope.

Jamie

i have found sterling ropes sheaths are pretty much junk. in less then 6 months i have seen 4 of these ropes get smoked and the last one is quickly on it's way. though in the end a rope is a rope and cost is a good determining factor. i climb only on ropes smaller the 10mm and i wiegh 200lbs, plus i fall alot. i think we were using the marathon ropes, so all this might not apply to the vdry, but the marathons are supposed to be tougher.

go for price first since they all wear out at one point or another.

I have used 8 sterling ropes in the last few years and won't be buying another one for a long time. I thought I was just climbing a bunch and I was wearing my ropes out real quick. This year I have been using an Edelweiss 9.8 and it has lasted for 6 months. I have had two brand new sterling marathon ropes get core shots the first time I ever used them. This is not a trait I am looking for in a rope. There is a reason Sterling ropes are so cheap. They suck! I would recommend going to canada and getting a Mammutt for really cheap.

my $.02

mike