Bike to Work Month

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my "bike to errands" month. It could also be called "bike off my fat ass" month. Either way--the good thing about it is that it reminds me to be super extra careful to watch out for cyclists.

Bike commuters RULE!

I usually try to bike twice a week. Now my team is pressuring me to do more so we have a better standing in the contest (we're around 100th now). :laf:

take one for team tick!!! woot!

I see commuters on the 90 bridge every afternooon beating be across the bridge!!!

The I-90 trail is awesome. Much better than driving through Bellevue. I miss it.

You can fly going down one end of the bridge and get a good crank going up the other. Lots of nice parks to bike through, fresh spring smells... blackberries in the late summer/early fall...

The "Beat the Rock" tri goes on the bridge. It is so fun b/c it's closed to traffic so we get to ride in the actual lanes (just the HOV lanes, not the rest of the bridge). Two years ago, I watched an eagle flying by and thought "wow, this is the best thing ever" right in the middle of the race. Seattle rocks.

I wonder how many folks see bikes beating them to work, yet still fail to realize how much simpler/cheaper/faster it would be for themselves to bike-commute. I guess that contrived contests like this help to puncture the widespread dogma that cars are the fundamental mode of urban transportation. The whole Lance/fancy bike craze has done a lot for urban biking--now even affluent middle-aged people have caught on. That's why I have no problem with the lycra-clad types riding their $5000 bikes in the middle of the road--one less car clogging the streets, threatening to run me over.

I wonder how many folks see bikes beating them to work, yet still fail to realize how much simpler/cheaper/faster it would be for themselves to bike-commute.

I question whether it's cheaper; definitely not faster. I take 48 minutes on avg to bike a 30 min drive commute. But it is healthier and a good way to cut gasoline usage.

Also, some of these drivers DO see cars passing them when backed up at red lights and get PISSED by this. A co-worker told me he used to have irate drivers open their passenger door to block him as he passed cars backed up at lights along Ballinger Way. WTF??

Why do we have a "Kevbone" on this thread? Can't we have a "Kevbone" free discussion?

Thats funny....you couldnt handle a discussion without me.

So far, you've provided no discussion.

Anyway, where's a good place to get a used bike around Seatown?? I'd try craigslist, but after a bad experience I try to stear clear of that site :tdown:

Anyway, where's a good place to get a used bike around Seatown?? I'd try craigslist, but after a bad experience I try to stear clear of that site :tdown:

I have an absolute POS mountain bike you can have for free. It would need some work and parts to make it functional, and it would never kick ass. May be more trouble that it's worth, but thought I'd throw it out there. I can send you a pic over the wkend if you'd like.

I wonder how many folks see bikes beating them to work, yet still fail to realize how much simpler/cheaper/faster it would be for themselves to bike-commute. I guess that contrived contests like this help to puncture the widespread dogma that cars are the fundamental mode of urban transportation. The whole Lance/fancy bike craze has done a lot for urban biking--now even affluent middle-aged people have caught on. That's why I have no problem with the lycra-clad types riding their $5000 bikes in the middle of the road--one less car clogging the streets, threatening to run me over.

I remember when I was first told that people actually bought those outfits with all the ads on them (I always assumed they were like triathlon participation shirts for cycle races). I thought that was hilarious and so lame. Then I realized that hey, if it makes the wearer feel more in the mood to ride and enjoy themselves more--more power to em!! Who the hell am I to comment on their wardrobe. Whatever it takes, right? But the moment of truth came when a friend told me to try one of the chamois diaper thingys. What relief--I love that thing!

I wonder how many folks see bikes beating them to work, yet still fail to realize how much simpler/cheaper/faster it would be for themselves to bike-commute.

I question whether it's cheaper; definitely not faster. I take 48 minutes on avg to bike a 30 min drive commute. But it is healthier and a good way to cut gasoline usage.

In a way, you are still saving time b/c you don't have to spend as much time working out. I think you are coming out ahead no matter what :tup:

In a way, you are still saving time b/c you don't have to spend as much time working out. I think you are coming out ahead no matter what :tup:

Indeed. That's one of the main reasons I started bike commuting this spring. With a new baby, I was struggling to fit in exercise with bus commute --> work --> bus commute --> play with baby --> spend time w/ wife --> get back on computer and work.

Now, I get to and from work quicker than I did on the bus, and have my exercise in once I get home, so I wind up w/ more time for family and other fun things.

if ur looking for a cheap bike try Recycled Cycles by UW. wide range of high to low end used bikes. i got a 1970's 10 speed for $50 years back that i got several years of daily commuting out of (steel is real). it's a lot easier to leave a cheap bike chained up outside.

yes true. This way I get a 1:45 min cardio workout (round trip) twice a week. If I drove, I'd spend another 1:30 per day getting to and from a gym with a 1 hr cardio workout staring at some dude's fat ass in front of me in a hot stuffy room. In short, more cardio, less road rage, less hot, smelly, boring gyms.

And I need all the cardio I can get so I can haul my old, fat ass up glaciers.

I've been riding to work for two years now. It's great blowing by stalled traffic, smiling at hot girls in their cars, feeling righteous, and having an endorphin buzz before and after work. With all the money I saved on fuel cost, I've funded my trip to the PNW again this summer . Try it. You'll love it, and wonder why you hadn't done it sooner. The only drawback is you're at the mercy of the weather. The wetter the better. Then when I ride I just feel machismo.

Arch- When in Amsterdam Central did you notice the bike parking lot? They eat french fries w/ mayo, and they're not obese.

das fiets rule :tup:

Edited by ZimZam

gym with a 1 hr cardio workout staring at some dude's fat ass in front of me in a hot stuffy room.

Uh, you know that women work out in gyms too, right? Stop staring at the dudes.

not at 10 pm at night. that's the only time I can head out there when I drive. got a family (dinner together, bedtime stories, etc)