El Capitan or Steck Salathe

beaconben

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of a big difference between doing something on El Cap vs. Steck Salathe. One's pretty much just a long alpine type route (steck Salathe) while the other (anything on El Cap) is a bit more of a big wall.

Have you done either yet? If you just want to go do a big wall I would highly suggest the RNWF of Half Dome, its kind of an intermediate between the two classics.

Kind of a big difference between doing something on El Cap vs. Steck Salathe. One's pretty much just a long alpine type route (steck Salathe) while the other (anything on El Cap) is a bit more of a big wall.

Have you done either yet? If you just want to go do a big wall I would highly suggest the RNWF of Half Dome, its kind of an intermediate between the two classics.

Beaconben has done the nose in a day.

Well then he's all set :)

I missed the question and didn't notice it was in climbing partners forum ;) If I could break out during that time I'd love to make a round. I think I'll be down for a few days in September to make another pass on the big stone.

I say go for a link up then. The Nose to Steck-Salathe :) or just go for The Nose to Salathe in a day, ouch. I would love to get that one if I could.

Hey Tradclimbguy, have you done the steck salathe. how bout some beta an the approach, wideness, and descent. The climb seems to be getting done alot more than it was ten years ago.

Whats up Kev. When are we taking the kids to Smith.

As far as El Cap goes, you could probably talk me into doing any route. I would probably chicken out of leading A4 pitches. How about a one day on Zodiac, if its fixed up that is. How about South Seas. I have always wanted to do Tangerine Trip too.

I ran up to the start of Steck-Salathe on my way to checking out the west side of the face. The approach is pretty much straight up and steep. And be careful on the upper main approach ramp, especially with a bag. It's sort of like a long, outward/downward sloping sidewalk next to a pink granite wall shedding ball bearings all over the ramp and has basically no pro worth a damn on it. You should send Brutus of Wyde on SuperTopo an email and he can fill you in on the whole affair. Haven't gotten back to do anything, but the word is that descent isn't much fun either. Come to think of it, I believe Brutus or Dingus posted a TR on Supertopo of their last run up it.