BD Ice Clipper

Dru

Looks like the best screw racking thing to me.But I haven't tried one yet. CoOp doesnt carry them wah! (What up with that "fishstick?")

So where is a good place to stop in and buy one as I beeline down from BC to Smith next weekend? confused.gif" border="0

And has anyone out there who has used em got any comments? Previously Ive just been using big ass sport bentgates with the Arcteryx ID on them. The Charlet racking system looks silly and the simond double biner thing costs $30, thats kinda pricy. Any others? I know Grivel has the condom thing but buying ten of them would get kinda pricy.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD used to make this big 'ol biner called The Fin. It worked pretty good.

The new clipper thing looks good, and a lot lighter. Ive just been using hotwires.

I'd stop at Feathered Friends, right of of I-5 in Seattle. The should have them, along with 100 other ultra tech things that you'll want really badly!! grin.gif" border="0

Dru,

I've got one of the "clippers" but you're right, we don't sell them.

They're OK, but in my opinion not really any better than a small nosed biner held in place with an ID. Considering you'll need up to four of the units (and four Ids to better secure them), I'd say save your cash.

GB

P.S. Fins fail at the task. Screws ride up above the nose, then slide down and open the gate (and fall off).

I picked up two BD ice clips at Marmot in Bellevue the other day. I had never seen them, and in pictures they seemed to be really wide, like the old "fin" sport biners. I was happy and surprised to see they are lower profile than even a regular hotwire and longer so you can rack more screws. I will be using these on BD's Blizzard harness this season, this harness has a slot in the webbing on each side to accomodate them, this is nice because it's more stable than using it on a regular harness.

I mainly used the Trango Ice Clips last year, but even though I liked the fact that they were low profile, I did occasionally almost lose gear while tring to re-rack screws. I gave these positive reviews last season, but I am going to re-post on why I am switching to ice clippers.

Hope that helps.

Oh one more thing, they are hardly expensive, only $4.95 each.

Dan E.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: dane ]

Trango Ice Clippers suck. They catch on gear and clothes and bend easily. Twice last year I had screws fall off them in the middle of a pitch. Besides that, they really dug into my hips at hanging belays.

I'll be trying the BD plastic-biner units this winter. At $4.95 they are cheaper than a large wire-gate. Plus they are light and come with a nice little rubber keeper-thingy that makes them easy to adjust/remove

YMMV

-Loren

Previous posts on all this stuff last year if you want to search. Trango thing sucks. Low profile limits # of screws and makes them stick out to rip stuff. Plus it's all metal and digs into your hip. It's also difficult to add/remove from your harness.

I like the BD clipper and have one on each side. Cheaper and lighter then a metal biner. Easy to take off in summer.

Right on, thanks, I didn't know if Redpoint had ice gear or not, I will look for them there and if not there at the gear store in Bend. weather.com says it is going to rain sun-mon-tues so we will probably be spending a lot of time wandering in the lava tubes or whatever...