alright...let's hear it from the hokies on this bb

RuMR

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

no...The professor i'm speaking about is Prof. Loganathan. Both were amazing guys. The CE staff at virginia tech is topnotch...every single one of them.

The prof you speak of was a hero in every sense of the word. He was in the Engineering Science and Mechanics department.

know of any other UVa / Cville people on CC.com?

UVa civil engineering (1991). Wasn't into climbing then--Old Rag is about as adventurous as I got.

Maybe it's because I wasn't from Virginia or maybe because I later went to grad school at Texas A&M, but I never really got the whole animosity between VT and UVa . . .

Rudy, I c/p-ed this from the original "22 Killed in Virginia Tech Shooting" thread from yesterday.

I saw GV on the list of the dead and was stunned.

That sucks; I lived in the dorms for two years at Va. Tech... I can't imagine what some of those kids are dealing with right now
same here...that's my alma mater...

my sis lived in that very dorm...plus, i had classes in Norris...

wow...such a pretty place for something like that to happen...wowowow this sucks...

I'm a Hokie alum, too: '83-'88. Classes in Norris, and dated girls that lived in AJ. Sad.

Have ya'll seen the news bits about his "disturbed writing" pieces and plays? CNN link

Among the many killed was a person who I thought was my best professor ever during my tenure there. I never would have understood open channel flow and fluid mechanics were it not for this gentleman:

G. V. Loganathan, 51, was a professor of civil and environmental engineering in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech. Since coming to Virginia Tech in 1982, he earned the Outstanding Faculty Award, the Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching and the Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Civil Engineering Education, according to his biography on the Virginia Tech Web site. Loganathan, of Tamil Nadu, India, lived with his wife and children on Virginia Tech's campus, according to the Times of India.

Ken Ying of Raleigh, North Carolina, wrote:

"Professor G.V. Loganathan was my professor when I was a graduate student in Virginia Tech. I worked with him for a research project and helped him with the computer lab management from 1985 to 1991. He was a kind and thoughtful gentleman. I always remember him for his elegant style and perfection in research and teaching. I learned a lot from him each time he gave me those helpful critiques on my works. It is a great loss of everyone from this tragedy. We just lost a great professor and a great friend. All my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. They just lost a great husband and a great father."