WTB: Toyota 4WD Van

NYC007

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the previa not as big, sweet, or cheap for use as a dirtbag mobile. the last 2 (or 3) model years were 4wd also.

nothing really compares to my new approach vehicle though. She's waiting for her first climbing trip after gunning her way past Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, SLC, and The City on her maiden voyage to the Palouse from New Mexico!

outside1.JPG

Matt, I owned one of those for a while, I had the cargo model. While the *idea* was awesome (true 4x4 with camper-like amenities and convenience) the engineering and engine in those particular vehicles was not. Lots of electrical problems, clutch went out and cost large coin to replace, and the engine is under the driver's seat making working on it yourself a nightmare.

Go Previa! go!

thos_van_river.jpg

That one was rigged out with a sleeping/gear box that the owner road tripped obsessively with. Those vans are comfy, get about as good gas mileage as the tacoma 4cyl and are better on snowy roads. As an added bonus, they can juuuuuust make it into the north ghost. :)

So kurt, when are we gonna put your new rig to the test. How was the gas mileage on the maiden voyage? What did it cost?

It'll get the big test this fall when it does the Sierra/Red Rocks circuit. Some shorter trips before that when I have time. It will be my humble abode from May onward though.

She gets 17MPG on a grossly overloaded 4cyl 22re engine and does 75 pretty well on the flats. Sleeps 4, has a bathroom, kitchen, furnace, dinette w/2 chairs and a table, fridge, DVD player, etc...

Total cost...well, we'll see when I'm done getting her into top form--it should be just more than my student loans (about 8K all said and done)!