Ondra

glassgowkiss

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was my mistake to engage kevbone in discourse.

Having said that, your statement above indicates a rather stagnant climbing scene, right? Everyone simply climbs at their level! Well you need to understand that to get to a certain level requires certain, how do I say it, qualities perhaps. what, you'd rather gymnastics simply stay at the level of the somersault? well a somersault is fine and dandy, but some of us want to develop say a front flip woohoo or perhaps a whatchamacallit, you know, pushing personal limits? it's kinda fun and rewarding, and this kid has done it to a high level. pretty cool if you ask me. nice try with the "he just climbs at his limit, like all of us" stuff, but that doesn't really take into account the FACT that some stuff is wayyyyyy more advanced objectively than other stuff. Yes, stuff. try climbing some harder climbs, if you still disagree. you might be required to actually learn something, about yourself, and about climbing.

i hope that doesn't sound too harsh. what, me touchy?

That was all well put and I see your point, but in this case let me say this. Few of us know who Ondra is so we don't have a personal connection to him. Bob didn't provide any details other than the grades, so we have no idea about the "drama" of the moment. We don't know what he was feeling or saying for that matter. Few of us have climbed in Europe so we can't form a mental picture of the routes. So to sum it up, Bob's post is pretty damn sterile and hard for us weekend climbers to relate to. There's no story.

That was all well put and I see your point, but in this case let me say this. Few of us know who Ondra is so we don't have a personal connection to him. Bob didn't provide any details other than the grades, so we have no idea about the "drama" of the moment. We don't know what he was feeling or saying for that matter. Few of us have climbed in Europe so we can't form a mental picture of the routes. So to sum it up, Bob's post is pretty damn sterile and hard for us weekend climbers to relate to. There's no story.

Well said.

The Fox and the Grapes

One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard

till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which

had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench

my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and

a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a

One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again

and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to

give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I

am sure they are sour."

It is easy to despise what you cannot get.