How gun control doesn't really work

sheaf_stout

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys still can't swallow the facts eh? Keep those minds spinning until you can find some useless explanation why gun control doesn't work. Haha.

in case you haven't noticed, no one's actually worried about what you think. most rational people realize gun control laws don't work because they don't deal with the underlying causes of gun violence. at the same time, people like you don't seem to think that addressing those causes will make gun owners lives any easier. in fact, most people like you don't seem to bother thinking about underlying causes at all as long as you keep shooting squirrels and crows and refrigerators and road signs with the biggest piece of hardware you can find. the best gun control 'law' i ever heard came from my mother who said once, and only once, to her firearm-toting children: "You kill it, you eat it".

the best gun control 'law' i ever heard came from my mother who said once, and only once, to her firearm-toting children: "You kill it, you eat it".

That rule works for non firing arm toting children too. We had that one firmly established at summer camp when I was a kid. Some other kids killed a rattler one day with some rocks.

Guess what was for din din that night?

Respect life. You never know; one day some giant cosmic bullet might just use us for target practice.

U.S. Leads Richest Nations In Gun Deaths

BY CHELSEA J. CARTER

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA -- The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths -- murders, suicides and accidents -- among the world's 36 richest nations, a government study found.

The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Japan had the lowest rate, at .05 per 100,000.

The study, done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the first comprehensive international look at gun-related deaths. It was published Thursday in the International Journal of Epidemiology.

The CDC would not speculate why the death rates varied, but other researchers said easy access to guns and society's acceptance of violence are part of the problem in the United States.

``If you have a country saturated with guns -- available to people when they are intoxicated, angry or depressed -- it's not unusual guns will be used more often,'' said Rebecca Peters, a Johns Hopkins University fellow specializing in gun violence. ``This has to be treated as a public health emergency.''

The National Rifle Association called the study shoddy because it failed to examine all causes of violent deaths.

``What this shows is the CDC is after guns. They aren't concerned with violence. It's pretending that no homicide exists unless it's related to guns,'' said Paul Blackman, a research coordinator for the NRA in Fairfax, Va.

The 36 countries chosen were listed as the richest in the World Bank's 1994 World Development Report, with the highest GNP per capita income.

The study used 1994 statistics supplied by the 36 countries. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent, said Etienne Krug, a CDC researcher and co-author of the article.

Japan, where very few people own guns, averages 124 gun-related attacks a year, and less than 1 percent end in death. Police often raid the homes of those suspected of having weapons.

The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia.

Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

I really get a kick out of all the racist remarks. I'm not white.

:rolleyes: Hey sport, just having been to Somalia doesn't make you black.

Most people are not white. Albinos maybe.

Most CAUCASIANS I know are a shade of pink or a light tan.

He never did say what kind of non-white he was?

Maybe a coward yellow color. ( No, asians are not yellow)

I would not get the AK if I lived in N. America.

I believe Tvash actually meant an ack ack gun, not an AK47. You know, like this:

ackack.jpg

Yes, although I prefer the four barrel version.

Well, what good is that?

Do you know how much space the ammo will take up in the 2 car garage? You wont be able to park your car in there anymore.

Second, that ammo weighs a lot. Who is going to bring the ammon over to the weapon? You gotta consider how much the little kids can carry at a time. Maybe less than 6 rounds can be carried by a 6 y.o.

Even in Africa and E. Europe, most AA weapons operators are 12 or older because the warlords know how much the little kids can carry.

Also keep in mind that your ability to move and evade is seriously restricted and you will need a truck to move that baby.

Big target. The four barrel version will eat up ammo twice a fast.

I'm still for small arms. Or, a 50 cal. BMG type weapon. hehe

I really get a kick out of all the racist remarks. I'm not white.

:rolleyes: Hey sport, just having been to Somalia doesn't make you black.

Most people are not white. Albinos maybe.

Most CAUCASIANS I know are a shade of pink or a light tan.

He never did say what kind of non-white he was?

Maybe a coward yellow color. ( No, asians are not yellow)

Even us Irish probably have a Moor or two hiding in the peat pile somewhere.

I believe Tvash actually meant an ack ack gun, not an AK47. You know, like this:

ackack.jpg

Well, what good is that?

Do you know how much space the ammo will take up in the 2 car garage? You wont be able to park your car in there anymore.

Second, that ammo weighs a lot. Who is going to bring the ammon over to the weapon? You gotta consider how much the little kids can carry at a time. Maybe less than 6 rounds can be carried by a 6 y.o.

Even in Africa and E. Europe, most AA weapons operators are 12 or older because the warlords know how much the little kids can carry.

Also keep in mind that your ability to move and evade is seriously restricted and you will need a truck to move that baby.

My two car garage is so full of junk I can't get into it anyway. An AK AK would fit perfectly on the flat pitched roof (with some beam reinforcement, perhaps). The next door neighbor even took down the beautiful doug firs that would block my line of fire (bitch!). As for reloading; if you sent out an email to all your friends saying "Hey, come on over. I've got ribs on the barbie, all the beer you can drink, and an AK AK gun that needs firing", how many reloaders do you think you'd have at your disposal? I don't know about you, but I can safely say that I could probably charge a hefty fee for the privilege.

The idea of using 6 year olds to hump ammo is ludicrous. They'd been too busy mixing martinis.

ackack.jpg

Well, what good is that?

My two car garage is so full of junk I can't get into it anyway. An AK AK would fit perfectly on the flat pitched roof (with some beam reinforcement, perhaps). The next door neighbor even took down the beautiful doug firs that would block my line of fire (bitch!). As for reloading; if you sent out an email to all your friends saying "Hey, come on over. I've got ribs on the barbie, all the beer you can drink, and an AK AK gun that needs firing", how many reloaders do you think you'd have at your disposal? I don't know about you, but I can safely say that I could probably charge a hefty fee for the privilege.

The idea of using 6 year olds to hump ammo is ludicrous. They'd been too busy mixing martinis.

Good point on the 6 year olds! No use in squandering them unless you have to.

Ribs....mmmmm...guns...mmm...beer...mmmm

I'll pay if the ribs and beer are part of the fee.