Headlamps

tps

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I said awhile back about mine:

Frankly, I thought the Zenix IQ accomplished all of the right things...and did it very well. The "flat light" with the BD Ion (I have one of these too) is eliminated by simply using the brighter settings (not the Hyperbright mode). It lights up the ground all around you, without funky shadows and allows you to see good depth.

The Hyperbright mode (3 brightness settings, 1 flashing) on its highest setting worked great for me when I was trying to find the trail across a river and also up a steep sketchy ridge. I was really impressed.

I'll grant you that the Myo XP may be ultimately brighter on its highest setting (Boost mode) than the IQ, BUT: it's more expensive; it's a bit heavier; it uses 3 AAs instead of 2 AAs and I think it adapts better to precisely the light you need (saving power). Especially being able to go from the two lower-power LEDs (3+1 settings) to the one Hyperbright one (3+1 settings)...without being the least bit complicated or a hassle to operate.

It also has a strap over the top which keeps it securely in place when you're wrestling next to a hot fire after a long day of climbing...and drinking.

I still use it and love it. I know others have different opinions. I have heard a lot of good things about the Petzl Tikka XP and Myo XP. And by now those may be much better.

The 3 watt LED BD Icons are pretty ridiculously bright... brighter, I think, than a halogen.

I'm looking at the Icon as a replacement for my old Petzl Zoom. The Zoom still does the job, but I want something more compact, but brighter than my Tikka (original, 3 LED).

Would the Icon be comparable to the Zoom with a halogen bulb?

Yo Trog:

how is the lamp for trying to look 50 yards ahead of you in the woods, or scanning a cliff band in the dark? Easy to use with gloves and well balanced sounds good - and I assume it does not turn on in your pack. Correct? How long do the batteries last?

I've not yet found a headlamp that seems to do what I want: shine long distances ahead, perform reliably, last several hours on a single set of batteries, decline to turn on in your pack, and not weigh a ton. Finally they seem to be selling lamps that don't turn on accidentally (it only took 50 years to develop this technology), but what about the other qualities? Anything I've seen compromises on at least one of the factors.

although there have been improvements in LED brightness. The little girl says it best. "It's in the mirrors." Halogen light is by far much brighter. The drawback being battery drain. The Myo however gets my vote. Fits mi cabeza, love the boost mode, and the diffuser is a nice touch. Plenty of light. There is also a cold weather version so you can stow the batpack on your person improving batlife.

Yo Trog:

how is the lamp for trying to look 50 yards ahead of you in the woods, or scanning a cliff band in the dark? Easy to use with gloves and well balanced sounds good - and I assume it does not turn on in your pack. Correct? How long do the batteries last?

I've not yet found a headlamp that seems to do what I want: shine long distances ahead, perform reliably, last several hours on a single set of batteries, decline to turn on in your pack, and not weigh a ton. Finally they seem to be selling lamps that don't turn on accidentally (it only took 50 years to develop this technology), but what about the other qualities? Anything I've seen compromises on at least one of the factors.

With the boost mode (for short durations), and the lens diffuser up, the petzl can probably cast out in the 50 yd range (petzl claims 65m). The tilt mechanism completely blocks the on off switch when the headlamp is stored. To turn on, the lamp must be tilted down, and the small rubber button depressed. It could happen, but it hasn't yet to me. It has a battery indicator, but I can never remember what all the flashing lights mean. Seems to last quite a few trips though. One of the nice things is that if you notice it starting to lose power, you can switch to low beam and milk quite a few more hours from it. Petzl says 70 hrs on high and 170 hrs on low (also dependent on temp). There is a new belt pack version that could mitigate most temperature performance issues.

I was looking at the BD headlamps and the details chart and was wondering what the "IPX rating" was.

Ingress Protection (IP) ratings denote how well electrical equipment will resist ingress by solid objects (the first numeral) and/or water (the second numeral). The higher the number, the better the protection. An "X" denotes no protection.

e.g. IPX4 indicates no resistance to solid objects, but resistance to splashing water.

IP ratings explained here.

Edited by PaulB

I have the BD Zenix. I love it but I can't say it is reliable. I have an issue with one after a couple years. I sent it to BD and they were kind enough to send me a new one.

The new one has cut out on me a couple times. Only taking the batteries out, slapping, cussing and general talking shit to it fixed it. Not what I like to do on a difficult aid pitch, in the dark or on my predawn bike ride.

Jedi

• 4 weeks later...

I looked at the BD Icon and was amazed that it didn't appear to have a lock-out design that prevented it from turning on. That sort of design was one of the nice features of my BD Moonlight. It certainly seemed bright. Does anyone that has used the Icon want to comment on the chances of it turning on in your pack. The Petzl MYO XP does have a lockout feature.

Does anyone that has used the Icon want to comment on the chances of it turning on in your pack.

I suppose it could get turned on in your pack, but I think the chances are small. I've only taken my Icon out on a couple of short trips, so more use may prove otherwise.

I will say that the chances of the Icon getting turned on in my pack are much less than for my old Zoom, which it has replaced. With my Zoom, I always left one battery lead disconnected until I needed to use it.