How to get started

KitCatherine

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joeschmoe, Dean Potter is a machine! I assume you've seen the wild video of Dan Osman soloing at Lover's Leap a few years back?

-----------------

KitCat, when I started climbing (1987; pre-Internet), I collected free catalogs from various gear & clothing manufacturers, as well as shops ( Mountain Gear ; REI, Patagonia; Petzl; what is now known as Black Diamond, ad infinitim). Catalogs can really help bring you up to speed quickly with gear, and what is available. The pics are great also!

I spent HOURS pouring these catalogs, including the equipment, applications / purposes & specs. The Petzl catalog has traditionally been extremely informative, with diagrams of riggings, etc. Petzl has not only an online catalog & videos, but will even mail you a print catalog. Check it out!

EDIT: this is really weird: I keep typing "D-a-n Osman" but some crazy reason, CC makes it appear as "he Osman", no matter how I try to correct it. Go figure. The word D-a-n will not appear.

Edited by Mtn Sk8tr

EDIT: this is really weird: I keep typing "D-a-n Osman" but some crazy reason, CC makes it appear as "he Osman", no matter how I try to correct it. Go figure. The word D-a-n will not appear.

sk8r...I know...it was driving me nuts too, D-a-n just will not come up, must be a glitch in the forum type somewhere...not sure whether or not I saw the Osman video...send me a link if you have it. I got that one from a member of a climbers e-group. back to workkk on the dreaded first day of the year..augh!

Kit, Sk8r and her pinhead husband are the gear junkies of the area. You need look no farther than their house for all the advice that you and forty more people could ever use. The hard part will be getting Pindude to quit advising long enough for you to pay. Both very great people, up on the latest of everything, and know their gear. You are in the care of the "gear jedi," follow, and you will buy!

Joe: D-a-n Osman Lover's Leap video is all over the net; this is on YouTube. Vid shows the beautiful quality of the Lover's Leap rock. Note the little dikes on the first pitch.

KitCat: D-a-n died a few years back, but not technically from climbing.

Back on topic:

There is a 43 minute video, hosted by the ever-popular John Long, "Basic Rockclimbing". While slightly outdated on a few things, it still remains one of the best -- if not THE best -- vid of it's kind. I'll try to dig it up & loan it to you -- you will learn LOTS from it -- and ROTFL in the process. You do have a VHS, don't you? If not, you can come to our place & watch it.

Edited by Mtn Sk8tr

Thanks so much Jo! Sorry for the all the computer issues, but that was great information.

Eric, Yeah Sharon seems like a gear junkie! She brought stuff with her in case I was to ill equipped (which, I probably was, but I proved to not be TOO much of a clutz, LOL).

Sharon-You are more than welcome to come help me spend money! Tim has given me some great advice in selecting shoes, but having another person with you is still more comforting. I think this extra $200 I am getting is going to be gone in two items purchased. But, it IS a start! LOL At least I know what i am sacking money aside for.

KitCat was equipped just fine! I brought an extra shell & pile jacket, as well as an extra water bottle. She didn't need any of it, as she had brought her own. All I really brought was a headlamp as we were pushing the clock a little & a headlamp provides margin. We didn't use it, but I've never been sorry I took a headlamp, ever.

KitCat was also a fun companion, with no whimpering or whining even when I had her on snow-slickened areas, incl. the slabs up the back of Minne's main face. Her hiking, dance & gymnastics background shows. As I said: she will be a fine climber.

Go KitCat!!!

He was "bungee jumping" with a climbing rope setup. He had done this many times, and in fact was renown for his experience with complex dynamic anchors for construction and recreational purposes. However, on the occasion of his death, he went to do one last jump at the end of the day, and didn't set the anchor lines properly. Without going into details of the complex anchor, sling slid along rope, crossed over where it was supposed to simply link with a carabiner, and the anchor broke when loaded.

I used to be a gear junkie too...but have given a lot of stuff away to SAR over the years or loaned it out and never gotten it back. Now I just stick with what works and what I use the most. I tend to be more thrifty in my old age...if KK were closer I would hook her up with some stuff

LOL Thanks Eric! I still want my own harness and shoes though! :) Its that whole "personal touch" feeling to them! I am ever so anxiously waiting until the 8th (Bonus payday) and it looks like it will all be going to this, which is A-ok! Somehow, I think I have people here to help me choose, and what I don't have, they are going to help me out as well.

Oh, and Adam and I sent in our Mountaineers application, so thats a step in a direction as well!

Of course! And ordering catologs. Its going to look a little obsessive to the mailman. :)

Now that I went on that hike once, and have taken Adam over to the rocks, I can't wait till its warm enough to start learning (the impending snow is dampening my hopes) but I am sure all up for more whatever! Just listening to people while stomping around teaches me plenty!

Well, now its just the waiting game. All of this snow is not helping me learn! LOL Everyone has kind of gone "in house" for awhile, which is fine, but when you guys start planning trips out to climb and the like, let me know! :) Eric, I need to get out with you soon here! I need to get a little unloaded with my work commitment right now! LOL It should skimp down to three days a week here this next week. Sharon, we need to go out again soon too!

Also, my Freedom of the Hills book is supposed to arrive this week! :) I also am waiting for my stuff from Spokane Mountaineers and am just getting excited to keep learning!

• 4 weeks later...

Catherine's Update! :)

Its been awhile, so I thought it was time to let you know what all I have been up to. I have gone on three training hikes (one in quite a bit of snow and we got to scramble up a hit...totally worth it), and I had Sharon help me find some fantastic hiking boots that are gortex on the outside and very breathable, comfortable, and good for lighter backpacking as well.

I was in Seattle for a weekend and got to go "indoor bouldering" and she had two harnesses, and one I liked very much. It was made by Black Diamond and when they are available to purchase again in the stores (I have the model listed at home) I will be buying one. I also was able to try on some shoes for that experience as well!

We joined the Spokane Mountaineers, and as soon as they announce their rock climbing schoool, both Adam and I will be joining if time allows. My practicum will be in full swing, so I will have to see if we are allowed to miss a weekend during the first quarter. I would certainly hope so!

Now, I am just waiting for Tim to start going back to the gym, and to let me know! :) Sharon is wonderful on taking me out on training hikes, and has shown me where I will learn to climb in the school. The stores are so bare on equipment right now that waiting a month or so will benefit me when more selection comes in, but I am still EXTREMELY interested, and glad the season is fast approaching!

• 1 month later...

Hey Kit,

The Mteers are a good idea. But you guys might want to consider professional guides and instrutors. Check the web. It's pricey but from personal experience it is worth it.

Try this web site...http://ncmountainguides.com/

Stay safe.