• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Hook

Kicking Horse Canyon

The Horse is a great place to start your ice vacation.It is cheap to stay in Golden and quick getting to the ice. Pretty nuts is the roadside classic and the crowds will agree, get there early or late. It will fit several parties but can suck when they bombard with ice or ropes. Riverview is fun,but can crowd out too.Essondale is tougher than the book suggests if the conditions are chandeliered.I think we did the Right and it was a 5 for sure.The other stuff to the left is scary looking. I think it is a great place to warm up for the stuff in Banff.Have fun

Climbed Pretty Nuts and Riverview last spring, in March -- still fat then, so probably good now.

Riverview was better, I thought. Did see some weird horizontal fractures, like little bergschrunds in the ice, up high. Scary.

Watch out for trains on the approach to Riverview -- walking along the tracks, be wary of places to duck into if trains come!!!! No shit!

I hear that Essondale Right is also a good climb.

Good luck,

Steve

kicking horse is great right now, everything in the book plus more looked in -but warmer bluebird days will make for rapid change...essondale right was killer, first pitch thin and chandeliered -tricky pro, the rest is fat with no crowds...

fyi -gibraltor wall is still fat, a double freestanding pillar formed high up to the left of the left side, a cold snap would make it a go...